failure to connect with Sagem/Sony phones

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by Nick72, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. Nick72

    Nick72 Guest

    Hi,

    I am currently trying to locate enough information to build an ASP.NET
    based website for wireless devices.
    However, I have hit upon a slight problem right at the first hurdle!

    I have created some basic mobile web applications and am hosting them
    on my own machine for testing. I can view them from a desktop pc OK
    but when I try to navigate via google's 'goto url' option via my
    phone, I recieve an error along the lines of "Sorry, you could not be
    connected to this site"... And that's it!
    I can even browse another of my sites which is pure HTML via my phone!

    So... I created a device sniffer script to log the user agent info for
    each user that connects to try to find out the exact capabilities of
    the phone... But nothing appears in the log for the phone at all!

    Basically, for some reason, I cannot connect and cannot debug!

    I phoned my mobile operator's technical people and they said that my
    Sagem phone is only WAP enabled, not HTML... which confuses me even
    more! I can view HTML but not WAP!

    Can anyone help me here???

    Thanks,

    Nick

    Nick72, Apr 14, 2004

  2. Nick72

    Nick Guest

    I think you need to install an ISAPI filter for WML pages (WAP)

    open you IIS control panel and clickon "Web Site" then properties.
    Attention not default web site but just Web Site.

    Click on ISAPI Filters and you will se some examples where
    you should install your WML filter.

    I don't know where you can get one for free.

    Bye

    Nick, Apr 14, 2004

  3. Nick72

    Nick Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=555014

    better this way.

    bye

    Nick, Apr 14, 2004
  4. hi,

    thanks for your swift responses...
    By the time I read your replies I had already located the MIME type info
    on another site and set it up for the default web site (and children) in
    iis 5.1.

    This hasn't made any difference...

    I have the openwave and nokia WAP simulators but I haven't been able to
    get either of them to connect to anything! (with the nokia gateway
    running also)...

    Am I being dumb or is the following statement true:
    "For a WAP enabled device to browse a site constructed in .NET mobile
    toolkit, that is hosted in iis 5.1: All that's needed is for the site to
    be running and the correct MIME types enabled" ?!

    Am I correct in thinking that it is IIS that formats the WAP code (WML)
    accoarding to the .NET mobile logic?
    Or am I missing something?

    Can I create a mobile web application in .NET and host it exactly as I
    would a normal site, provided I use the mobile toolkit? I don't suppose
    there's a "allow WAP devices" checkbox somewhere is there? lol!

    Thanks,

    Nick

    nick lankester, Apr 14, 2004
  5. Nick72

    Nick Guest

    I think we need to enable a different port than 80.
    I don't know which one.

    The message i got fro my mobile was :

    "The server can't asnwer"

    The i think my mobile was able to see the server but not able to communicate
    because of the wrong port.

    Usually 80 is HTTP.

    I guess WAP is different.

    Nick, Apr 15, 2004
  6. Nick72

    Nick Guest

    They are saying that the port is 80, but some cellphones
    could require different ports !!!!!

    Nick, Apr 15, 2004
  7. I have searched the web for any reference to port numbers used for WAP.
    There's no mention on MSDN either.

    Won't IIS always push things through port 80?

    Are you saying that I need to configure multiple port outputs to suppot
    WAP? Why isn't this in any manuals?
    You may well be right, it just seems... well... Shoddy!

    but that's Micro$oft for you!

    The only thing I can think of to try is to remove my router and firewall
    and see if I still have probs. Not a very nice answer!!

    thnx

    nick lankester, Apr 15, 2004
  8. Nick72

    Nick Guest