Failure to write cookie on client?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jim, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Hi,

    I have an Asp.Net 1.1 site which uses basic forms authentication. This
    has been working fine, since way back in the 1.0 days. Twice in the last 2
    months, a client has been unable to log in, once each on both her home
    machine and her work machine. She gets the login screen, then gets redirected
    there once again, continuously. There is no incorrect login message, and I
    see a DB entry for her successful login, so I know she is using a correct
    username/password. But instead of writing the cookie and moving on to the
    regular admin page, she is redirected back to the login screen.

    She has logged in every workday for 4 years. My code has not been changed
    in the last 3 weeks.

    This happens with IE 6. She has cleared her cookies, history, and temp
    files, with no change. She downloads Netscape and logs in on the first try.

    With IE, after clearing her cookies, she attempts a login, and is
    authenticated just fine (according to the DB entry), but no cookie appears,
    and back she goes to the login screen. She had a valid cookie yesterday (and
    every workday for years), but if the cookie was corrupted, deleting cookies
    should have fixed that, and a new one should have been written.

    It's almost as if the writing of the new cookie failed on the client. Has
    anyone ever heard of such a thing? Or is this absolutely something with my
    (very simple) login code, even though it worked fine for years, worked 1
    minute later with Netscape, and will probably work again tomorrow.

    I will be updating my code over the winter to use 2.0's role-based stuff,
    but I'm not sure if this will make this very intermittent problem disappear.

    Thanks in advance for any help/ideas/insight.
    Jim, Nov 1, 2005

  2. Jim wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have an Asp.Net 1.1 site

    > which uses basic forms authentication.

    <snip>
    I've no experience with forms authentication in .Net. I suggest posting to
    the dotnet group.

    Bob Btrrow
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Nov 1, 2005

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Thanks, Bob. I was trying to find such a newsgroup. Why that would be
    under Framework instead of Web development is a little confusing to me, but I
    will try again in the right place now. Thanks again.

    Jim, Nov 1, 2005