fairly basic question on command options

Mark

can anyone confirm whether or not C++ places any restrictions on the length
of
command option strings passed into main upon startup. The standard ( section
3.6) does'nt seem to mention any, but I thought I'd better confirm.

My guess is that , if there are any, it might be implementation or OS/shell
defined.

Mark

Victor Bazarov

Mark said:
can anyone confirm whether or not C++ places any restrictions on the length
of
command option strings passed into main upon startup. The standard ( section
3.6) does'nt seem to mention any, but I thought I'd better confirm.

If you got the Standard document, you got all the help you need. We'd be
using the same document to "confirm".
My guess is that , if there are any, it might be implementation or OS/shell
defined.

That's correct. Any limits of that sort are OS-driven, most likely, and
since your implementation has to live in the confines of your OS, the same
limits can be interpreted as implementation-defined.

Moritz Beller

My guess is that , if there are any, it might be implementation or
OS/shell defined.

As an example of an implementation, using the gcc compiler suite,
configure checks up on this.

best regards / Gruß
Moritz Beller