Fairly OT: Why "flufl"?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Chris Angelico, Feb 4, 2013.

  1. This isn't particularly related to the post I'm quoting, it's more a
    point of curiosity.

    On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM, João Bernardo <> wrote:
    Re: [Python-ideas] constant/enum type in stdlib
    > I have my own implementation with a basic api somewhat borrowed from
    > flufl.enum (plus a lot of other stuff)...

    What is the origin of the term FLUFL? It's referenced in PEP 401 about
    the retirement of the BDFL and the appointment of Barry Warsaw as
    Guido's successor. Is that where the expression FLUFL originated, or
    is "Friendly Language Uncle For Life" a backformation?

    This might be more of a personal question for Barry, in the same way
    that asking me why I'm "Rosuav" wouldn't be a list question, but I'm
    wondering if there's something more Python to it.

    Just a point of random curiosity!

    ChrisA

    Chris Angelico, Feb 4, 2013

  2. Chris Angelico

    nn Guest

    On Feb 4, 10:10 am, Chris Angelico <> wrote:
    > This isn't particularly related to the post I'm quoting, it's more a
    > point of curiosity.
    >
    > On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM, João Bernardo <> wrote:
    >
    > Re: [Python-ideas] constant/enum type in stdlib
    >
    > > I have my own implementation with a basic api somewhat borrowed from
    > > flufl.enum (plus a lot of other stuff)...

    > What is the origin of the term FLUFL? It's referenced in PEP 401 about
    > the retirement of the BDFL and the appointment of Barry Warsaw as
    > Guido's successor. Is that where the expression FLUFL originated, or
    > is "Friendly Language Uncle For Life" a backformation?
    >
    > This might be more of a personal question for Barry, in the same way
    > that asking me why I'm "Rosuav" wouldn't be a list question, but I'm
    > wondering if there's something more Python to it.
    >
    > Just a point of random curiosity!
    >
    > ChrisA

    My guess is that it originated with PEP 401, and that FLUFL ("Friendly
    Language Uncle For Life") were created as humorous take on the equally
    silly title of BDFL ("Benevolent Dictator For Life").

    nn, Feb 4, 2013

  3. On Feb 4, 2013 4:27 PM, "nn" <> wrote:

    > On Feb 4, 10:10 am, Chris Angelico <> wrote:
    > > This isn't particularly related to the post I'm quoting, it's more a
    > > point of curiosity.
    > >
    > > On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 10:53 AM, João Bernardo <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Re: [Python-ideas] constant/enum type in stdlib
    > >
    > > > I have my own implementation with a basic api somewhat borrowed from
    > > > flufl.enum (plus a lot of other stuff)...

    > > What is the origin of the term FLUFL? It's referenced in PEP 401 about
    > > the retirement of the BDFL and the appointment of Barry Warsaw as
    > > Guido's successor. Is that where the expression FLUFL originated, or
    > > is "Friendly Language Uncle For Life" a backformation?
    > >
    > > This might be more of a personal question for Barry, in the same way
    > > that asking me why I'm "Rosuav" wouldn't be a list question, but I'm
    > > wondering if there's something more Python to it.
    > >
    > > Just a point of random curiosity!
    > >
    > > ChrisA

    > My guess is that it originated with PEP 401, and that FLUFL ("Friendly
    > Language Uncle For Life") were created as humorous take on the equally
    > silly title of BDFL ("Benevolent Dictator For Life").

    Barry talks about the origin of "flufl" at the end of this radio free
    python podcast.

    http://radiofreepython.com/episodes/10/

    Simon Hayward, Feb 4, 2013