Fake Submit button

bermetj

I am simulating a webpage on a CD for presentation with no Internet
access. Is there a way to make a submit button act like a hyperlink? I
have this:

<P align=center><A href="results.htm"><INPUT type=submit value=Submit
name=Submit></A> <INPUT type=reset value=Reset name=Reset>

However when I click on it, it doesn't take me anywhere.
Thank you!

dorayme

I am simulating a webpage on a CD for presentation with no Internet
access. Is there a way to make a submit button act like a hyperlink? I
have this:

<P align=center><A href="results.htm"><INPUT type=submit value=Submit
name=Submit></A> <INPUT type=reset value=Reset name=Reset>

However when I click on it, it doesn't take me anywhere.
Thank you!

If what you want is the look of the submit button, just make an
image and use it as a normal link. Your context is a bit sketchy?

bermetj

I am not sure why you would think it is schetchy, there is simply no
internet access in the room where the meeting will be held and to get
one I would have to pay an additional $500. Basically I am going to an
external website, selecting my search criteria and based on that a
link to our website is provided.

Thank you for your suggestion, its just that I don't have the images
for the raised Submit and recessed Submit buttons.

Any other ideas?

dorayme

I am not sure why you would think it is schetchy, there is simply no
internet access in the room where the meeting will be held and to get
one I would have to pay an additional $500. Basically I am going to an
external website, selecting my search criteria and based on that a
link to our website is provided.

Thank you for your suggestion, its just that I don't have the images
for the raised Submit and recessed Submit buttons.

Any other ideas?

I am not saying you should get internet access beyond what you
have at this moment, just that the actual page which you are
doing would be better understood here if you put it up to be seen
(there is free space with most ISPs and also many free website
hosts good enough for communicating with newsgroups at least).
Truth is, I am guessing what you might be doing without really
knowing.

About you not having the images concerned, why not screenshot the
ones you have? On such a simple thing as this, you can also
dimension the size of the image in ems and have it scale like the
real thing when different text sizes are chosen.

(Please do not top post here, I have corrected above on this
occasion)

bermetj

Dorayme, thank you for suggestion, however I was more looking for a
way to disable the Submit button's functionality while keeping it
there.

dorayme

Dorayme, thank you for suggestion, however I was more looking for a
way to disable the Submit button's functionality while keeping it
there.

What are you doing with the form on the CD? What is its purpose?
Is it to show off a website? If so, and you want to make a show
of things, you can leave out the input button from the form and
put it in link and img as I suggested just under. When it is
pressed, (there are things you can do in setting the css to make
it a bit like a button being pressed) it can go to an html page
of your choosing which might say something like "Thanks for
submitting the form" or whatever. Best I can suggest, I am
afraid. If you are really to use a form with a proper action
there may be a way for some resource to be included on the CD,
but this is beyond my technical knowledge.

BootNic

news: (e-mail address removed)
I am simulating a webpage on a CD for presentation with no Internet
access. Is there a way to make a submit button act like a hyperlink?
[snip]

Put it in a form?

<form action="http://www.google.com" method="get">
</form>

--
BootNic Friday, June 08, 2007 9:01 PM

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists
elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
*Bill Watterson*

dorayme

"rf said:
Print Screen.

Christ! I said that ages ago in this thread. Don't say you have
stopped reading my ravings too!

Look, if the OP wants it, I will make him a nice graphic and even
supply him with an em based bit of css to make the button (er...
the pic of the button) scale. Old Alan Flavell once said about
this sort of thing and I played about with the idea and found it
worked nicely on Macs at least and in many browsers not IE,
(there were some issues re IE if I recall) if done carefully.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, BootNic ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...
news: (e-mail address removed)
I am simulating a webpage on a CD for presentation with no Internet
access. Is there a way to make a submit button act like a hyperlink?
[snip]

Put it in a form?

<form action="http://www.google.com" method="get">
</form>

Well, without internet access that won't be much use to the OP... However...

<form action="results.htm">
<!-- form stuff here... -->

<input type="submit" value="Submit" name="Submit">
</form>

Cheers,
Nige

dorayme

"nice.guy.nige said:
<form action="results.htm">
<!-- form stuff here... -->

<input type="submit" value="Submit" name="Submit">
</form>

Yes, this works. OP now just needs to make up a "results.htm"
page and put it in the same directory or else modify path in the
action. In this page is whatever he wants to demo, perhaps the
"emailed" data content that comes to the form maker or perhaps a
notice to say the form has been submitted, thanks etc.

Now, how about an elegant way if he wanted to demo an error
message if the form is "incorrectly" filled out on a CD?
Normally, a server side script detects errors and contains the
means to display a notice to this effect. JS instead on the CD?

Jukka K. Korpela

Scripsit (e-mail address removed):
Dorayme, thank you for suggestion, however I was more looking for a
way to disable the Submit button's functionality while keeping it
there.

I was almost about to reveal you the answer, but you continued foolish
upside-down fullquoting, even so that make a fool of yourself by quoting
this:

Oh well, some people have already told you the answer, and I can't undo
that.

So I might just as well help _others_ who might have some legitimate reason
for creating buttons that act as local links: Using <form
action="foo.html"><input type="submit" value="link text"></form> is indeed a
simple way to achieve that. And using CSS, with form { display: inline },
you can even turn it into a text-level element in presentation.

You could alternatively use

<form action="foo.html">
<button type="submit">link text</button>
</form>

which lets you use markup inside the link text. On the other hand, <button>
is not as universally supported as <input>.

rf

dorayme said:
Christ! I said that ages ago in this thread.

I made that post about five minutes after the post I answered hit my news
client. Do I have any control over how up to date my news server is? Hint:
bloody none.
Don't say you have
stopped reading my ravings too!

Thinking seriously.

<snip rave>

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, dorayme ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...
Yes, this works. OP now just needs to make up a "results.htm"
page and put it in the same directory or else modify path in the
action. In this page is whatever he wants to demo, perhaps the
"emailed" data content that comes to the form maker or perhaps a
notice to say the form has been submitted, thanks etc.

Now, how about an elegant way if he wanted to demo an error
message if the form is "incorrectly" filled out on a CD?
Normally, a server side script detects errors and contains the
means to display a notice to this effect. JS instead on the CD?

These are all extremeley well put points, but I was just doing as I was told
and giving the OP a way to present the page that s/he wanted presented when
the submit button was pressed your honour ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

dorayme

"nice.guy.nige said:
While the city slept, dorayme ([email protected]) feverishly
typed...

These are all extremeley well put points, but I was just doing as I was told
and giving the OP a way to present the page that s/he wanted presented when
the submit button was pressed your honour ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

Mine was no criticism of yours in any way. You did good. It was
addressed to subscribers here generally.

dorayme

"rf said:
I made that post about five minutes after the post I answered hit my news
client. Do I have any control over how up to date my news server is? Hint:
bloody none.

No, you don't have control and it was not your fault and I was
not really upset by it, just musing and enjoying a bit of
victimhood.

Seriously, considered Optus? I had little choice but to go with
Optus (at the time of my broadband connection) but friends of
mine all have had a lot of trouble with Telstra services. Optus
is great on the technical side, but as bad as all of them on the
admin side.

rf

dorayme said:
I made that post about five minutes after the post I answered hit my news
client. Do I have any control over how up to date my news server is?
Hint:
bloody none.

No, you don't have control and it was not your fault and I was
not really upset by it, just musing and enjoying a bit of
victimhood.[/QUOTE]

Proof is here. I just got your post at 18:28. I note you posted at 11:39.
Bigpond is running *seriously* slow, and their server is just around the
corner from yours :-(
Seriously, considered Optus?

Droptus?

Do they do cable? No way I'd use any of that ADSL stuff. Way too slow!

dorayme

"rf said:
Proof is here. I just got your post at 18:28. I note you posted at 11:39.
Bigpond is running *seriously* slow, and their server is just around the
corner from yours :-(

Droptus?

Do they do cable? No way I'd use any of that ADSL stuff. Way too slow!

Now that is funny considering I am on ADSL (true, it ADSL 2) and
you are the one getting the slowdowns. You won't be disappointed.
Go get a FF extension that tells you your speed, it is called
Bandwidth Meter. An efficient ADSL line is better than an
inefficient cable. I am getting better than many of my cable
friends. And frankly, I don't need the speed. I was actually not
that unhappy on dial up for years and years. (I'd be bloody
unhappy now but...)

rf

dorayme said:
Now that is funny considering I am on ADSL (true, it ADSL 2) and
you are the one getting the slowdowns.

Now think, very very slowly and carefully, about this dorayme:

It is my *news server* that is slow. Not my internet connection.

That is, I see your posts six hours after you make them, because the Bigpond
*news server* is remiss in obtaining posts from nearby servers I presume.

My internet connection has nothing at all to do with this. My internet
connection is fine. It is the *news server* that is at fault. Got that?

Oddly enough I did a test my internet connection tonight, for reasons other
than conversing with you. http://www.speedtest.net/ reports my connection
at 5.7 megabits per second. How does your ADSL[1 or 2] connection compare
with this?

<snippage>

Hmmm.
Then again this has nothing at all to do with fake submit buttons.

dorayme

"rf said:
dorayme said:
[...]

Richard! I did not have to think slowly and carefully, I see this
ball coming like a top batsman sees the thing coming towards him
as the size of a football curling in the air like a shuttlecock
whose feathers have taken a grip in mid air.

The point is, what good is your cable if a main thing you want to
do takes ages - no matter that the cause is the ISP's management
and systems relevant to the material you want and not the cable
connection per se.

Put it another way, I would prefer my old battered Ford to a
Ferrari if the latter, just imagine it, could not get AM radio
(where, on Radio National, there are the best programs).

At the same time I thought I would say things about ADSL compared
to cable. Perhaps ADSL2 would not suit you for very high speed
games and streaming movies and other things? Anyway, the Optus
news server seems very very good to me.

As for speed, let me open FF and see:

6.27 Mbps

For a pretty pic of the result:

http://members.optushome.com.au/droovies/test/pics/adsl2.png

It is now 9.42 am in Sydney and the sun, thankfully, is up and
bright.