Faking subdomains for development computer.

craigkenisston

In an application I'm developing I will be using subdomains in the main
website to hold some sections of the sites.
There will be many serverside generated links that will point to this
subdomains. I already have subdomains in a preproduction server and it
works fine then, but how do I do that here in my development machine ??
I have WindowsXP SP2, but I don't see anyplace where I can create
subdomains, since everything are actually virtual folders.
Any advise or different approach to accomplish this is very welcome.

Craig Deelsnyder

In an application I'm developing I will be using subdomains in the main
website to hold some sections of the sites.
There will be many serverside generated links that will point to this
subdomains. I already have subdomains in a preproduction server and it
works fine then, but how do I do that here in my development machine ??
I have WindowsXP SP2, but I don't see anyplace where I can create
subdomains, since everything are actually virtual folders.
Any advise or different approach to accomplish this is very welcome.

XP only allows 1 website per PC. Only the server products support
multiple websites...

Well, there are some 'workarounds', you can technically create more than 1
website in IIS on XP Pro, you just can't run more than 1 at 1 time, which
is pry why XP doesn't even bother letting you create more than 1.

Google and you'll find a few workarounds:

http://dotnetjunkies.com/WebLog/mjordan/archive/2003/12/30/5033.aspx
http://www.codeproject.com/csharp/IIsAdminNet.asp

BTW, I think this is a design issue IMHO. I never hardcode domain names
in my application (for my web apps, I do for truly external links tho), I
make them configurable via web.config, as a possiblity. So then you can
setup each environment properly without having to worry about these type
of hacks, or requiring Server 2000/2003, etc.