FAQ 3.12 Where can I get perl-mode or cperl-mode for emacs?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Jan 8, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq3.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    3.12: Where can I get perl-mode or cperl-mode for emacs?

    Since Emacs version 19 patchlevel 22 or so, there have been both a
    perl-mode.el and support for the Perl debugger built in. These should
    come with the standard Emacs 19 distribution.

    Note that the perl-mode of emacs will have fits with "main'foo" (single
    quote), and mess up the indentation and highlighting. You are probably
    using "main::foo" in new Perl code anyway, so this shouldn't be an
    issue.

    For CPerlMode, see http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CPerlMode

    Working code is greatly appreciated.

    perlfaq.pod.
    PerlFAQ Server, Jan 8, 2011

  2. PerlFAQ Server

    Marc Girod Guest

    On Jan 8, 11:00 am, PerlFAQ Server <> wrote:

    > 3.12: Where can I get perl-mode or cperl-mode for emacs?
    >
    >     Since Emacs version 19 patchlevel 22 or so, there have been both a
    >     perl-mode.el and support for the Perl debugger built in. These should
    >     come with the standard Emacs 19 distribution.

    I guess this is not what was intended...
    I have not used the debugger support, so I am not sure whether it is
    included in both perl-mode and cperl-mode, or only in perl-mode (which
    would explain that I didn't find it since I use the other...)

    However, there was probably a collision between cperl-mode and this
    debugger support.

    I might add that as much as I like cperl-mode, it is a pain to extend
    or to fix, because byte-compiling it on recent versions of emacs (e.g.
    ones found in typical distribution) will produce huge amounts of
    warnings and errors because it is meant to support emacs 19.something,
    and the syntax of lisp macros has changed since.

    The result is that e.g. cygwin comes with a modified version of cperl-
    mode. I would guess there are others.

    Marc
    Marc Girod, Jan 8, 2011