FAQ 3.2 How can I use Perl interactively?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Jan 16, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq3.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    3.2: How can I use Perl interactively?

    The typical approach uses the Perl debugger, described in the
    perldebug(1) manpage, on an "empty" program, like this:

    perl -de 42

    Now just type in any legal Perl code, and it will be immediately
    evaluated. You can also examine the symbol table, get stack backtraces,
    check variable values, set breakpoints, and other operations typically
    found in symbolic debuggers.

    Working code is greatly appreciated.

    perlfaq.pod.
    PerlFAQ Server, Jan 16, 2011