FAQ 3.8 Is there a pretty-printer (formatter) for Perl?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Apr 20, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq3.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    3.8: Is there a pretty-printer (formatter) for Perl?

    "Perltidy" is a Perl script which indents and reformats Perl scripts to
    make them easier to read by trying to follow the rules of the perlstyle.
    If you write Perl scripts, or spend much time reading them, you will
    probably find it useful. It is available at
    http://perltidy.sourceforge.net .

    Of course, if you simply follow the guidelines in perlstyle, you
    shouldn't need to reformat. The habit of formatting your code as you
    write it will help prevent bugs. Your editor can and should help you
    with this. The perl-mode or newer cperl-mode for emacs can provide
    remarkable amounts of help with most (but not all) code, and even less
    programmable editors can provide significant assistance. Tom
    Christiansen and many other VI users swear by the following settings in
    vi and its clones:

    set ai sw=4
    map! ^O {^M}^[O^T

    Put that in your .exrc file (replacing the caret characters with control
    characters) and away you go. In insert mode, ^T is for indenting, ^D is
    for undenting, and ^O is for blockdenting--as it were. A more complete
    example, with comments, can be found at
    http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/TOMC/scripts/toms.exrc.gz

    The a2ps http://www-inf.enst.fr/~demaille/a2ps/black white.ps.gz does
    lots of things related to generating nicely printed output of documents.

    Working code is greatly appreciated.

    perlfaq.pod.

    PerlFAQ Server, Apr 20, 2011

  2. PerlFAQ Server

    brian d foy Guest

    In article <966b2$4daf82e7$ad30ae40$>, Adam
    Russell <> wrote:

    > Also, there is a pretty good perl plugin for Netbeans
    > http://netbeans.mojgorod.ru/perl.html
    > that formats perl code within the Netbeans IDE.

    I'll see about adding this to the next edition of the FAQ.

    Thanks,

    brian d foy, Apr 21, 2011