FAQ 4.50 How do I select a random element from an array?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Jan 5, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    4.50: How do I select a random element from an array?

    Use the "rand()" function (see "rand" in perlfunc):

    $index = rand @array;
    $element = $array[$index];

    Or, simply:

    my $element = $array[ rand @array ];