FAQ 4.72 How do I handle binary data correctly?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Feb 13, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq4.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    4.72: How do I handle binary data correctly?

    Perl is binary clean, so it can handle binary data just fine. On Windows
    or DOS, however, you have to use "binmode" for binary files to avoid
    conversions for line endings. In general, you should use "binmode" any
    time you want to work with binary data.

    Also see "binmode" in perlfunc or perlopentut.

    If you're concerned about 8-bit textual data then see perllocale. If you
    want to deal with multibyte characters, however, there are some gotchas.
    See the section on Regular Expressions.

    Working code is greatly appreciated.

    perlfaq.pod.
    PerlFAQ Server, Feb 13, 2011