FAQ 5.20 How can I reliably rename a file?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Feb 8, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    5.20: How can I reliably rename a file?

    If your operating system supports a proper mv(1) utility or its
    functional equivalent, this works:

    rename($old, $new) or system("mv", $old, $new);

    It may be more portable to use the "File::Copy" module instead. You just
    copy to the new file to the new name (checking return values), then
    delete the old one. This isn't really the same semantically as a
    "rename()", which preserves meta-information like permissions,
    timestamps, inode info, etc.

    Working code is greatly appreciated.

    perlfaq.pod.

    PerlFAQ Server, Feb 8, 2011