FAQ 5.41 How do I traverse a directory tree?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Jan 15, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq5.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    5.41: How do I traverse a directory tree?

    (contributed by brian d foy)

    The "File::Find" module, which comes with Perl, does all of the hard
    work to traverse a directory structure. It comes with Perl. You simply
    call the "find" subroutine with a callback subroutine and the
    directories you want to traverse:

    use File::Find;

    find( \&wanted, @directories );

    sub wanted {
    # full path in $File::Find::name
    # just filename in $_
    ... do whatever you want to do ...
    }

    The "File::Find::Closures", which you can download from CPAN, provides
    many ready-to-use subroutines that you can use with "File::Find".

    The "File::Finder", which you can download from CPAN, can help you
    create the callback subroutine using something closer to the syntax of
    the "find" command-line utility:

    use File::Find;
    use File::Finder;

    my $deep_dirs = File::Finder->depth->type('d')->ls->exec('rmdir','{}');

    find( $deep_dirs->as_options, @places );

    The "File::Find::Rule" module, which you can download from CPAN, has a
    similar interface, but does the traversal for you too:

    use File::Find::Rule;

    my @files = File::Find::Rule->file()
    ->name( '*.pm' )
    ->in( @INC );