FAQ 6.14 How do I process each word on each line?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Jan 26, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq6.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    6.14: How do I process each word on each line?

    Use the split function:

    while (<>) {
    foreach $word ( split ) {
    # do something with $word here

    Note that this isn't really a word in the English sense; it's just
    chunks of consecutive non-whitespace characters.

    To work with only alphanumeric sequences (including underscores), you
    might consider

    while (<>) {
    foreach $word (m/(\w+)/g) {
    # do something with $word here