FAQ 7.18 How can I access a dynamic variable while a similarly named lexical is in scope?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Mar 27, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq7.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    7.18: How can I access a dynamic variable while a similarly named lexical is in scope?

    If you know your package, you can just mention it explicitly, as in
    $Some_Pack::var. Note that the notation $::var is not the dynamic $var
    in the current package, but rather the one in the "main" package, as
    though you had written $main::var.

    use vars '$var';
    local $var = "global";
    my $var = "lexical";

    print "lexical is $var\n";
    print "global is $main::var\n";

    Alternatively you can use the compiler directive our() to bring a
    dynamic variable into the current lexical scope.

    require 5.006; # our() did not exist before 5.6
    use vars '$var';

    local $var = "global";
    my $var = "lexical";

    print "lexical is $var\n";