FAQ 7.3 Do I always/never have to quote my strings or use semicolons and commas?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Jan 7, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq7.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    7.3: Do I always/never have to quote my strings or use semicolons and commas?

    Normally, a bareword doesn't need to be quoted, but in most cases
    probably should be (and must be under "use strict"). But a hash key
    consisting of a simple word (that isn't the name of a defined
    subroutine) and the left-hand operand to the "=>" operator both count as
    though they were quoted:

    This is like this
    ------------ ---------------
    $foo{line} $foo{'line'}
    bar => stuff 'bar' => stuff

    The final semicolon in a block is optional, as is the final comma in a
    list. Good style (see perlstyle) says to put them in except for
    one-liners:

    if ($whoops) { exit 1 }
    @nums = (1, 2, 3);

    if ($whoops) {