FAQ 7.8 How do I declare/create a structure?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Feb 12, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq7.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    7.8: How do I declare/create a structure?

    In general, you don't "declare" a structure. Just use a (probably
    anonymous) hash reference. See perlref and perldsc for details. Here's
    an example:

    $person = {}; # new anonymous hash
    $person->{AGE} = 24; # set field AGE to 24
    $person->{NAME} = "Nat"; # set field NAME to "Nat"

    If you're looking for something a bit more rigorous, try perltoot.

    Working code is greatly appreciated.

    perlfaq.pod.

    PerlFAQ Server, Feb 12, 2011