FAQ 8.16 How can I sleep() or alarm() for under a second?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Mar 16, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq8.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    8.16: How can I sleep() or alarm() for under a second?

    If you want finer granularity than the 1 second that the "sleep()"
    function provides, the easiest way is to use the "select()" function as
    documented in "select" in perlfunc. Try the "Time::HiRes" and the
    "BSD::Itimer" modules (available from CPAN, and starting from Perl 5.8
    "Time::HiRes" is part of the standard distribution).

    Working code is greatly appreciated.

    perlfaq.pod.

    PerlFAQ Server, Mar 16, 2011