FAQ 8.34 I {changed directory, modified my environment} in a perl script. How come the change disap

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Mar 12, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq8.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    8.34: I {changed directory, modified my environment} in a perl script. How come the change disappeared when I exited the script? How do I get my changes to be visible?

    Unix
    In the strictest sense, it can't be done--the script executes as a
    different process from the shell it was started from. Changes to a
    process are not reflected in its parent--only in any children
    created after the change. There is shell magic that may allow you to
    fake it by "eval()"ing the script's output in your shell; check out
    the comp.unix.questions FAQ for details.

    Working code is greatly appreciated.

    perlfaq.pod.

    PerlFAQ Server, Mar 12, 2011