FAQ 8.47 How do I keep my own module/library directory?

PerlFAQ Server

This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq8.pod, which
perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

8.47: How do I keep my own module/library directory?

When you build modules, tell Perl where to install the modules.

If you want to install modules for your own use, the easiest way might
be "local::lib", which you can download from CPAN. It sets various
installation settings for you, and uses those same settings within your
programs.

If you want more flexibility, you need to configure your CPAN client for
your particular situation.

For "Makefile.PL"-based distributions, use the INSTALL_BASE option when
generating Makefiles:

perl Makefile.PL INSTALL_BASE=/mydir/perl

You can set this in your "CPAN.pm" configuration so modules
automatically install in your private library directory when you use the
CPAN.pm shell:

% cpan
cpan> o conf makepl_arg INSTALL_BASE=/mydir/perl
cpan> o conf commit

For "Build.PL"-based distributions, use the --install_base option:

perl Build.PL --install_base /mydir/perl

You can configure "CPAN.pm" to automatically use this option too:

% cpan
cpan> o conf mbuild_arg "--install_base /mydir/perl"
cpan> o conf commit

INSTALL_BASE tells these tools to put your modules into
/mydir/perl/lib/perl5. See "How do I add a directory to my include path
(@INC) at runtime?" for details on how to run your newly installed
modules.

There is one caveat with INSTALL_BASE, though, since it acts differently
than the PREFIX and LIB settings that older versions of
"ExtUtils::MakeMaker" advocated. INSTALL_BASE does not support
installing modules for multiple versions of Perl or different
architectures under the same directory. You should consider if you
really want that , and if you do, use the older PREFIX and LIB settings.
See the "ExtUtils::Makemaker" documentation for more details.

Working code is greatly appreciated.

perlfaq.pod.