FAQ 8.47 How do I keep my own module/library directory?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Mar 26, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq8.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    8.47: How do I keep my own module/library directory?

    When you build modules, tell Perl where to install the modules.

    If you want to install modules for your own use, the easiest way might
    be "local::lib", which you can download from CPAN. It sets various
    installation settings for you, and uses those same settings within your
    programs.

    If you want more flexibility, you need to configure your CPAN client for
    your particular situation.

    For "Makefile.PL"-based distributions, use the INSTALL_BASE option when
    generating Makefiles:

    perl Makefile.PL INSTALL_BASE=/mydir/perl

    You can set this in your "CPAN.pm" configuration so modules
    automatically install in your private library directory when you use the
    CPAN.pm shell:

    % cpan
    cpan> o conf makepl_arg INSTALL_BASE=/mydir/perl
    cpan> o conf commit

    For "Build.PL"-based distributions, use the --install_base option:

    perl Build.PL --install_base /mydir/perl

    You can configure "CPAN.pm" to automatically use this option too:

    % cpan
    cpan> o conf mbuild_arg "--install_base /mydir/perl"
    cpan> o conf commit

    INSTALL_BASE tells these tools to put your modules into
    /mydir/perl/lib/perl5. See "How do I add a directory to my include path
    (@INC) at runtime?" for details on how to run your newly installed
    modules.

    There is one caveat with INSTALL_BASE, though, since it acts differently
    than the PREFIX and LIB settings that older versions of
    "ExtUtils::MakeMaker" advocated. INSTALL_BASE does not support
    installing modules for multiple versions of Perl or different
    architectures under the same directory. You should consider if you
    really want that , and if you do, use the older PREFIX and LIB settings.
    See the "ExtUtils::Makemaker" documentation for more details.

    Working code is greatly appreciated.

    perlfaq.pod.
    PerlFAQ Server, Mar 26, 2011