FAQ 9.23 How do I find out my hostname, domainname, or IP address?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by PerlFAQ Server, Feb 23, 2011.

  1. This is an excerpt from the latest version perlfaq9.pod, which
    perlfaq is at http://faq.perl.org .

    9.23: How do I find out my hostname, domainname, or IP address?

    (contributed by brian d foy)

    The "Net::Domain" module, which is part of the standard distribution
    starting in perl5.7.3, can get you the fully qualified domain name
    (FQDN), the host name, or the domain name.

    use Net::Domain qw(hostname hostfqdn hostdomain);

    my $host = hostfqdn();

    The "Sys::Hostname" module, included in the standard distribution since
    perl5.6, can also get the hostname.

    use Sys::Hostname;

    $host = hostname();

    To get the IP address, you can use the "gethostbyname" built-in function
    to turn the name into a number. To turn that number into the dotted
    octet form (a.b.c.d) that most people expect, use the "inet_ntoa"
    function from the "Socket" module, which also comes with perl.

    use Socket;

    my $address = inet_ntoa(
    scalar gethostbyname( $host || 'localhost' )
    );

    Working code is greatly appreciated.

    perlfaq.pod.

    PerlFAQ Server, Feb 23, 2011