    It makes our lives easier.

    Thank you.

    Victor
    Victor Bazarov, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > Just a quick friendly reminder. I'd like to quote from section 5
    > of the FAQ Lite, question 5.5: "Please don't answer a question
    > that's already in the FAQ."
    >
    > Yes, I am guilty of not always following the recommendations, and
    > often not following some of them. I just would _really_ like all
    > of the frequent answerers here to join me in an attempt to be a bit
    > more attentive to the recommendations.
    >
    > It makes our lives easier.

    Yes - I hear you, however I have the problem of simply not being able to
    cite everything in the FAQ off the top of my head. Hence with time
    pressures, I often err on the side of simply answering the question
    rather than searching through the faq. I'm not implying this is right,
    it's what I think most posters probably do also.

    Gianni Mariani, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Victor Bazarov

    David Harmon Guest

    On Mon, 02 Feb 2004 17:14:53 GMT in comp.lang.c++, "Victor Bazarov"
    <> was alleged to have written:
    >Just a quick friendly reminder. I'd like to quote from section 5
    >of the FAQ Lite, question 5.5: "Please don't answer a question
    >that's already in the FAQ."

    We still have room for differences of opinion, and I differ from M.
    Cline on several points. This is one of them. In my opinion, "read the
    FAQ" without mentioning where within the bloody great FAQ the specific
    answer might lie, and repeating the URL of the FAQ, is just not helpful
    enough in most cases. Otherwise "read the FAQ" often does not lead to a
    positive experience and thus does not reduce the frequency with which
    frequently asked questions are asked. Fred's recent question is a good
    example where you could read the FAQ over and over without spotting the
    answer if you don't already know what you are looking for. And you know
    I say "read the FAQ" as often as anybody.
    David Harmon, Feb 2, 2004
  4. "Gianni Mariani" <> wrote in message
    > Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > > Just a quick friendly reminder. I'd like to quote from section 5
    > > of the FAQ Lite, question 5.5: "Please don't answer a question
    > > that's already in the FAQ."
    > >
    > > Yes, I am guilty of not always following the recommendations, and
    > > often not following some of them. I just would _really_ like all
    > > of the frequent answerers here to join me in an attempt to be a

    bit
    > > more attentive to the recommendations.
    > >
    > > It makes our lives easier.

    > Yes - I hear you, however I have the problem of simply not being

    able to
    > cite everything in the FAQ off the top of my head. Hence with time
    > pressures, I often err on the side of simply answering the question
    > rather than searching through the faq. I'm not implying this is

    right,
    > it's what I think most posters probably do also.

    How about this policy: if you see a question which you know (or
    strongly suspect) is answered in the FAQ, but can't find a reference
    quickly, simply wait for someone else to post a reference to the FAQ.
    Enough people read this group that over the course of 24 hours it is
    likely that someone will find the reference without too much trouble.

    Jonathan
    Jonathan Turkanis, Feb 3, 2004
  5. Victor Bazarov wrote:

    > Just a quick friendly reminder.
    > I'd like to quote from section 5 of the FAQ Lite, question 5.5:
    >
    > "Please don't answer a question that's already in the FAQ."
    >
    > Yes, I am guilty of not always following the recommendations
    > and often not following some of them. I just would _really_ like
    > all of the frequent answerers here to join me
    > in an attempt to be a bit more attentive to the recommendations.
    >
    > It makes our lives easier.

    I agree.
    And you have my explicit permission to reprimand *me*
    if I attempt to answer a question without citing the relevant FAQ first.
    E. Robert Tisdale, Feb 3, 2004