FAQ and our desire to answer questions

Victor Bazarov

Just a quick friendly reminder. I'd like to quote from section 5
of the FAQ Lite, question 5.5: "Please don't answer a question
that's already in the FAQ."

Yes, I am guilty of not always following the recommendations, and
often not following some of them. I just would _really_ like all
of the frequent answerers here to join me in an attempt to be a bit
more attentive to the recommendations.

It makes our lives easier.

Thank you.

Victor

Gianni Mariani

Victor said:
Just a quick friendly reminder. I'd like to quote from section 5
of the FAQ Lite, question 5.5: "Please don't answer a question
that's already in the FAQ."

Yes, I am guilty of not always following the recommendations, and
often not following some of them. I just would _really_ like all
of the frequent answerers here to join me in an attempt to be a bit
more attentive to the recommendations.

It makes our lives easier.

Yes - I hear you, however I have the problem of simply not being able to
cite everything in the FAQ off the top of my head. Hence with time
pressures, I often err on the side of simply answering the question
rather than searching through the faq. I'm not implying this is right,
it's what I think most posters probably do also.

David Harmon

Just a quick friendly reminder. I'd like to quote from section 5
of the FAQ Lite, question 5.5: "Please don't answer a question
that's already in the FAQ."

We still have room for differences of opinion, and I differ from M.
Cline on several points. This is one of them. In my opinion, "read the
FAQ" without mentioning where within the bloody great FAQ the specific
answer might lie, and repeating the URL of the FAQ, is just not helpful
enough in most cases. Otherwise "read the FAQ" often does not lead to a
positive experience and thus does not reduce the frequency with which
frequently asked questions are asked. Fred's recent question is a good
example where you could read the FAQ over and over without spotting the
answer if you don't already know what you are looking for. And you know
I say "read the FAQ" as often as anybody.

Jonathan Turkanis

Gianni Mariani said:
Yes - I hear you, however I have the problem of simply not being able to
cite everything in the FAQ off the top of my head. Hence with time
pressures, I often err on the side of simply answering the question
rather than searching through the faq. I'm not implying this is right,
it's what I think most posters probably do also.

How about this policy: if you see a question which you know (or
strongly suspect) is answered in the FAQ, but can't find a reference
quickly, simply wait for someone else to post a reference to the FAQ.
Enough people read this group that over the course of 24 hours it is
likely that someone will find the reference without too much trouble.

Jonathan

E. Robert Tisdale

Victor said:
Just a quick friendly reminder.
I'd like to quote from section 5 of the FAQ Lite, question 5.5:

"Please don't answer a question that's already in the FAQ."

Yes, I am guilty of not always following the recommendations
and often not following some of them. I just would _really_ like
all of the frequent answerers here to join me
in an attempt to be a bit more attentive to the recommendations.

It makes our lives easier.

I agree.
And you have my explicit permission to reprimand *me*
if I attempt to answer a question without citing the relevant FAQ first.