FAQ/FAQ notes site makeover

Peter Michaux

Hi,

There have been a few suggestions for changing the format of the FAQ
site to make it easier to maintain. VK suggested and XML procedure.
Matt Kruse suggested a wiki. I think something interactive would be
good. Jim Ley pointed out wiki documentation doesn't always work well.

I think a book type hierarchy of articles with user comments on each
page would be a great way to go as it has been so successful for both
PHP and MySQL. I am willing to write a Rails app to do this if the task
is not too onerous. I put up a simple little demo (not production
ready).

http://seriousjavascript.info

(Try the insert code example)

I think being able to maintain the site without ftp would be nicer. Of
course features could be added over time and anyone could checkout the
Rails app with svn and submit patches.

I am not suggesting I would be one of the JavaScript technical experts
or that Jim Ley would stop hosting the site.

Perhaps it is up to Jim Ley and Randy Webb to make the decision if
there will be a change in the format. I just thought that I'd make the
offer and that the ball might start rolling.

Peter

Randy Webb

Peter Michaux said the following on 11/21/2006 11:28 PM:
Hi,

There have been a few suggestions for changing the format of the FAQ
site to make it easier to maintain. VK suggested and XML procedure.

That suffers a major problem whereby people who don't know XML will feel
left out. To me, there is nothing wrong with the current way of
requesting a modification. It is simple, and available to anyone that
can post to the group.
Matt Kruse suggested a wiki.

The problem with a wiki is two-fold:

1) If you grant open access (much like wikipedia does), then you have
anybody posting anything and people spending too much time correcting
things.

2) If you limit access to a few people, how do you decide who those
people are going to be? No matter who is on that list you are going to
have people complaining about it. If they are complaining now and going
to complain then, whats the benefit?
I think something interactive would be good.

The current format, to me, is fine other than getting it updated. I half
agree with Richard in that not many people post even snippets to get put
into the FAQ (Draft Proposals) they just want to say "This should be in
the FAQ" and leave it up to Richard to write it out so that people can
still complain about what it says. I have never written a Notes section,
or even an Entry for the FAQ so I can't claim total innocence with
regards to that part.
Jim Ley pointed out wiki documentation doesn't always work well.

Yes, and for the above reasons, not the one's JRS likes to use though.
I think a book type hierarchy of articles with user comments on each
page would be a great way to go as it has been so successful for both
PHP and MySQL.

The difference between PHP/MySQL and Javascript FAQ's are substantial
though. One runs on the server where you can dictate the environment and
the other doesn't.

The problem with a "book type heirarchy" though makes it difficult to
put it all in one page. People don't read the single page there is now,
why would they be interested in reading an entire book? Especially if
they have to hunt what they are looking for. A simple Search on the FAQ
page now will find (or reject) whatever you are looking for. What would
be nice for the FAQ though is a Search/Find/Highlight in the page itself
so you don't have to do it manually.
I am willing to write a Rails app to do this if the task
is not too onerous. I put up a simple little demo (not production
ready).
http://seriousjavascript.info

(Try the insert code example)

The insert code example isn't any good to most people though and not
sure what benefit it would have in a FAQ. What's the point of being able
to dynamically insert code into a FAQ page?
I think being able to maintain the site without ftp would be nicer. Of
course features could be added over time and anyone could checkout the
Rails app with svn and submit patches.

I am not suggesting I would be one of the JavaScript technical experts
or that Jim Ley would stop hosting the site.

Perhaps it is up to Jim Ley and Randy Webb to make the decision if
there will be a change in the format. I just thought that I'd make the
offer and that the ball might start rolling.

Personally, I think for now, the best thing to do is give me a week or
two to go back to the last update and try to get the FAQ now updated
first, then move on to a different format if it is desired. I do think
the anchor issue now needs to be changed to a word anchor instead of
numbers. I still have to get in touch with Jim to get a
username/password to get on the server but have already started hunting
down entry requests.

Peter Michaux

Randy said:
The problem with a wiki is two-fold:

1) If you grant open access (much like wikipedia does), then you have
anybody posting anything and people spending too much time correcting
things.

I don't think anyone here would want to do that much correcting.
Wikipedia already exists for this and if folks know that the c.l.j.
resource is somewhat verified it has a different appeal.

2) If you limit access to a few people, how do you decide who those
people are going to be? No matter who is on that list you are going to
have people complaining about it. If they are complaining now and going
to complain then, whats the benefit?

I don't think this is really a big problem. All open source projects
have a subset of contributors with commit status. You could scream for
commit status until you are blue in the face but if the people who hand
out commit status won't give it then you are out of luck. The important
part is having different ways so that everyone can contribute and feel
part of the effort.
The difference between PHP/MySQL and Javascript FAQ's are substantial
though. One runs on the server where you can dictate the environment and
the other doesn't.

Is it not possible to dictate the environment on the JavaScript FAQ
server? Jim Ley mentioned he would pass out SSH access to a known
person.

The problem with a "book type heirarchy" though makes it difficult to
put it all in one page.

Not at all. That is quite easy actually. Just travel down the book tree
and concat the sections.

People don't read the single page there is now,

Then the whole exercise is futile :)

Actually I think this is an important point. Why don't they read it
now? People are searching for JavaScript information all the time.
Perhaps a new format would be more exciting and generate more use of
the FAQ and FAQ notes.

why would they be interested in reading an entire book?

I meant a book-type organization to the faq page and notes. Not
necessarily 1000 pages of notes.

Especially if
they have to hunt what they are looking for. A simple Search on the FAQ
page now will find (or reject) whatever you are looking for.

If the FAQ itself is a single node in the hierarchy then this would
remain. Or the FAQ sections could be concatenated on the fly to
generate a complete FAQ. There are options.

What would
be nice for the FAQ though is a Search/Find/Highlight in the page itself
so you don't have to do it manually.

That would be a nice feature.

The insert code example isn't any good to most people though and not
sure what benefit it would have in a FAQ. What's the point of being able
to dynamically insert code into a FAQ page?

I think this insert code example would be good in the notes. After
inserting the code then it is easy to play with the code in the Firefox
Firebug console or another javascript console. I have been using this
trick with my own notes quite a bit lately and it is very useful. It is
nice to interact with the code live sometimes. JavaScript is a uniqe
programming language in that it's examples presented in HTML can be
dynamic like this.

Personally, I think for now, the best thing to do is give me a week or
two to go back to the last update and try to get the FAQ now updated
first, then move on to a different format if it is desired.

I was thinking that if a change in format was desired then the two
efforts (content and format) could proceed in parallel.

Peter

Randy Webb

Peter Michaux said the following on 11/22/2006 12:42 AM:
I don't think anyone here would want to do that much correcting.

Then it would get bloated with incorrect information.

The other problem with a wiki based approach is that if you leave it
open for *any* subject, then it ceases to be an FAQ site and becomes a
documentation site.
Wikipedia already exists for this and if folks know that the c.l.j.
resource is somewhat verified it has a different appeal.

I asked twice in the other thread on the FAQ how you would go about
deciding who to grant edit access to and VK didn't answer me either
time. Either you have a wide open format where anybody can post (like
wikipedia does) and you have problems. If you limit access to post, you
have problems. If it is limited access then yes, it is "verified", but
you still have to have some mechanism in place for non editors to
contribute.
I don't think this is really a big problem. All open source projects
have a subset of contributors with commit status. You could scream for
commit status until you are blue in the face but if the people who hand
out commit status won't give it then you are out of luck. The important
part is having different ways so that everyone can contribute and feel
part of the effort.

True, and that part is there now. The faq modification process is very
well established and *anybody* can make a request to have the FAQ
modified so making it a wiki wouldn't change anything in that regards.
Is it not possible to dictate the environment on the JavaScript FAQ
server? Jim Ley mentioned he would pass out SSH access to a known
person.

I wasn't referring to Jim's server. I was referring to the environment
that PHP and mySQL execute in. Trying to find a needle in the haystack
in PHP is simple, but trying to dynamically load a .js file and execute
it in a browser is totally different. You can't quite document JS with
simple answers was my only point.
Not at all. That is quite easy actually. Just travel down the book tree
and concat the sections.

A Javascript FAQ isn't that large though. Its about Frequently Asked
Questions and it changes over time. There are some FAQ's now that
weren't even heard of 3 years ago (witness: AJAX) but there are some
that get asked forever and ever (witness: eval). The problem with that
is historical reasons. You can't delete entries because it will kill 99%
of the links in the archives. So, it just keeps growing and growing :(
Then the whole exercise is futile :)

Probably so.

#1 Reason? Improper search term. A Google search for "Javascript FAQ"
turns up this groups FAQ as the #3 hit.

The second reason is the ease with which people can post a question in
Usenet now. Before Google Groups, you had to go through the steps of
setting up a newsreader, opening a Usenet account, subscribing, etc..
Now, you can post to Google Groups in under 10 minutes. Email address is
all that is required and Google will even give you that (GMail). It's
"easier" to just ask the question than to try to find the answer. Why
search through the archives hunting an answer when you can post in less
time than that?

Probably half of the questions asked here are of the type "I am not a JS
programmer, just need a little help". They don't want to learn JS, they
just want free programming.
Perhaps a new format would be more exciting and generate more use of
the FAQ and FAQ notes.

Only to the people interested in actually learning instead of just
wanting an answer so they can move on.
I meant a book-type organization to the faq page and notes. Not
necessarily 1000 pages of notes.

I was thinking more of a book type where each "chapter" would be a
different page with a table of contents. I still don't think it would
add anything to what is there now as most of the answers are "Quick
Answers". I do think that if there was a Notes page linked to from each
entry in Section 4 then it would eventually turn into a Book format
though. You get a Quick Answer and a link to the Chapter that explains
it in more detail.
If the FAQ itself is a single node in the hierarchy then this would
remain. Or the FAQ sections could be concatenated on the fly to
generate a complete FAQ. There are options.
True.

That would be a nice feature.

I think this insert code example would be good in the notes. After
inserting the code then it is easy to play with the code in the Firefox
Firebug console or another javascript console. I have been using this
trick with my own notes quite a bit lately and it is very useful. It is
nice to interact with the code live sometimes. JavaScript is a uniqe
programming language in that it's examples presented in HTML can be
dynamic like this.

I have become so adept at <ALT><ENTER><DOWN><DOWN><ENTER><ALT-TAB><F5>
with a test page that I just personally don't see a benefit for me.
Especially when I can make a test page to save locally and always have
my code handy to tinker with and test in different browsers.
I was thinking that if a change in format was desired then the two
efforts (content and format) could proceed in parallel.

I sat tonight and hunted down the Entry requests since the last update
was done. I am positive I missed some because of the recent faq postings
that got discussed. So far, I have 44 requested entries to go through,
try to write/modify the entries, post it to the group, remodiy/edit, and
then get it posted. The last thing I want to do in the middle of all
that is deal with a new format. Get the FAQ now updated, get it posted
regularly again, and then come back to the format issue.

VK

Randy said:
That suffers a major problem whereby people who don't know XML will feel
left out. To me, there is nothing wrong with the current way of
requesting a modification. It is simple, and available to anyone that
can post to the group.

That is not what I said. I proposed to submit the requests for updates
in XML format in the body of Usenet post , while the discussion over
the request is conducted in the regular free form:
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/msg/38f5dc6bf2599884>

Each FAQ topic is a properly formatted HTML thus well-formed XML
fragment anyway. But to make the process even more user-friendly it is
easy to add a script-driven request generator with each topic having
"Generate update request" button.

The discussion itself will be conducted in c.l.j. itself in the regular
form of Usenet thread; some web-based wiki interfaces on some side
website are great by themselves but irrelevant to the Usenet.

The side effect is that FAQ will not stay on the "bleeding edge" of the
JavaScript/DOM programming technologies. The other side effect is that
possibly that FAQ topics will not accomodate all and every accumulated
world wisdom on the subject. These side effects are easy to live with
because from the other side it will protect the topics from crap and
IE-only techniques.

As Rendy Webb seems to be the next maintainer (?) the question remains
about the list of people allowed to vote.

VK list:
And who will these "approved editors" will be? By taking just few
possible candidatures (so sorry of missing others):
Martin Honnen
Richard Cornford
Matt Kruse
Randy Webb
Dr. Stockton
RobG

Matt Kruse list:

VK

P.S. What was the need to break the original "FAQ Updates" thread and
to start a new one? That makes reading and referencing more difficult.
IMHO "FAQ Updates" topic covers well all issues of the discussion.

John G Harris

Peter said:
Hi,

There have been a few suggestions for changing the format of the FAQ
site to make it easier to maintain. VK suggested and XML procedure.
Matt Kruse suggested a wiki. I think something interactive would be
good. Jim Ley pointed out wiki documentation doesn't always work well.

I think a book type hierarchy of articles with user comments on each
page would be a great way to go as it has been so successful for both
PHP and MySQL. I am willing to write a Rails app to do this if the task
is not too onerous. I put up a simple little demo (not production
ready).
<snip>

Spreading the FAQ document over more than one web page is a disaster ...

a) for those using dialup access paid by the minute who want to read the
web page offline;

b) for those using a laptop wanting to read the web page away from a
phone socket or a secure WiFi transceiver, and hence want to read it
offline.

The FAQ document needs to be simple enough to be posted to
comp.lang.javascript. This pretty well forces it to be capable of being
(re)formatted as a single text document.

People thinking of posting a 'newbie' question to comp.lang.javascript
are encouraged to read the FAQ document first. The document must
therefore be one that can be skimmed through quickly by people who don't
know what it is they don't know about the language.

A wiki may well be suitable for a good practice and handy hints
textbook, but even then it must have a guaranteed up-to-date contents
list. It's no use relying on people guessing the right search terms to
use.

John

Randy Webb

VK said the following on 11/22/2006 5:44 AM:
Peter Michaux said the following on 11/21/2006 11:28 PM:

That is not what I said. I proposed to submit the requests for updates
in XML format in the body of Usenet post ,

And I responded to that, which you quoted, by saying that it suffers
from people now knowing XML to post it to the group. And as I said,
there is nothing wrong with the way the requests are made now. The
problem is updating the FAQ with the requested changes.
while the discussion over the request is conducted in the regular free form:
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/msg/38f5dc6bf2599884>

Each FAQ topic is a properly formatted HTML thus well-formed XML
fragment anyway. But to make the process even more user-friendly it is
easy to add a script-driven request generator with each topic having
"Generate update request" button.

So to make a request they have to go to the FAQ, create a request,
copy/paste that request to Usenet and post it to the group? I bet JRS
loves that idea.
The discussion itself will be conducted in c.l.j. itself in the regular
form of Usenet thread; some web-based wiki interfaces on some side
website are great by themselves but irrelevant to the Usenet.

There has never been a question of where it would be "discussed". It
always has been, and always will be, discussed in the group.
The side effect is that FAQ will not stay on the "bleeding edge" of the
JavaScript/DOM programming technologies. The other side effect is that
possibly that FAQ topics will not accomodate all and every accumulated
world wisdom on the subject. These side effects are easy to live with
because from the other side it will protect the topics from crap and
IE-only techniques.

Both are "side effects" but neither are negative side effects.
As Rendy Webb seems to be the next maintainer (?) the question remains
about the list of people allowed to vote.

And I have asked three times, twice directly of you, how you would
propose to create that list of people "allowed to vote". And, to date,
you have not answered that.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]>,
The current format, to me, is fine other than getting it updated. I
half agree with Richard in that not many people post even snippets to
get put into the FAQ (Draft Proposals) they just want to say "This
should be in the FAQ" and leave it up to Richard to write it out so
that people can still complain about what it says. I have never written
a Notes section, or even an Entry for the FAQ so I can't claim total
innocence with regards to that part.

For the last several months, at least, it has been clear that Richard
was not doing the job that he had undertaken, preferring to waste effort
and news-space in arguing with VK (Others can do that; and VK's
inabilities are evident enough anyway).

People have posted suggestions to get the suggestions "on the record",
or as a sideline when responding to an actual question.. In some cases
a competent and active FAQ maintainer would have no difficulty in making
the corresponding change, or an adequate first approximation thereto,
immediately. In other cases a maintainer should either post a draft, or
a request for a draft, or a tactful criticism of the idea, without delay
in News. He should neither ignore it nor give the appearance of
ignoring it.

VK

That is not what I said. I proposed to submit the requests for updates
And I responded to that, which you quoted, by saying that it suffers
from people now knowing XML to post it to the group.
And as I said,
there is nothing wrong with the way the requests are made now. The
problem is updating the FAQ with the requested changes.

Right: and if the Initial Request and Call For Votes (CFV) (if
followed) are both made as well-formed XML fragment then the
maintainer's task is as simple as copy-n-paste the final variant into
the relevant section (if voted YES).
No one is asking from requestors to develop a full-scaled validating
XML document with prolog, matching DTD etc. The task is as simple as to
put properly a couple of tags and to use properly <del> and <ins> tags
(if request for update). If it constitutes too much of challenge for
some person, then most probably this person did not reach yet the level
to request any updates, she is still on the stage to *read* FAQ and ask
questions if something is not clear.
So to make a request they have to go to the FAQ, create a request,
copy/paste that request to Usenet and post it to the group? I bet JRS
loves that idea.

Yes, before to request to change something, they have to read that
something in full and possibly in the context of surrounding topics.
They have to demonstrate an ability to navigate across the Web (at
least in the most primitive form), be able to hit the right button (at
least from the 3rd attempt) and be interested in improving group FAQ
(at least up to the level to spend extra 30sec for it). I see nothing
wrong in some most primitive medical and moral testing :) of a person
before a bunch of people will start discussing the request.
There has never been a question of where it would be "discussed". It
always has been, and always will be, discussed in the group.

Great to have it confirmed.
Both are "side effects" but neither are negative side effects.

This is what I meant.
And I have asked three times, twice directly of you, how you would
propose to create that list of people "allowed to vote". And, to date,
you have not answered that.

I did better :) I started the list and I have shown how to possibly
make it. I posted the initial list, Matt Kruse asked to take him off
but added few more people. You may now add/remove your own names. The
others in the list is welcome to do the same. I personally do not like
too much the idea of "voters by honor": thus people who did not post at
c.l.j. for many years already yet included because they were great
posters 4,5,6 years ago. IMO that should be a practically usable list,
not a historical hall of fame.

VK

So to make a request they have to go to the FAQ, create a request,
What "our Doc" would really love is the requirement to post request
only using a dedicated news reader, no web interfaces :) But it's
silly first and a dispropagation by used software second :)

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <[email protected]>,
A Javascript FAQ isn't that large though. Its about Frequently Asked
Questions and it changes over time. There are some FAQ's now that
weren't even heard of 3 years ago (witness: AJAX) but there are some
that get asked forever and ever (witness: eval). The problem with that
is historical reasons. You can't delete entries because it will kill
99% of the links in the archives. So, it just keeps growing and growing
:(

Firstly, put a copy of the FAQ at a slightly new URL to be the
FAQ-as-it-was.

Then decouple the anchor-names in the FAQ from the appearance of the
FAQ; making the references match the subsection numbers is a minor
short-term inconvenience with long-term penalties. For example, change
<a name='FAQ4_23'>
4.23 How do I change print settings with window.print()?
to use either name="aaabfd" (fixed arbitrary) or name='cpswp'
(slightly mnemonic). No name should be reused for a different question.

That means that sections can be added, removed, or renamed without
concern for numbering/naming interaction.

Put removed sections, if of any possible use, in an "Old Bits" document.
Now, the link which led to Sec 4.23 will lead to the top of the FAQ. Put
there, between title and index, a box saying something like "if you were
expecting to reach a particular section and find yourself here, it may
have moved into __http://.../OldBits.htm__. Select that and read on, or
in your address bar change FAQ to OldBits and select GO to get directly
to the section."

Or write Body onLoad code that will read the desired URL's tail end
(after #), compare it with the available anchors, and if not found jump
to the right part of OldBits.

In general, there are two ways in which the Web could be run.
(1) No page is ever visibly changed or moved, though an invisible HREF
may be updated to point to a better version. Then all links work in
perpetuity - in some ways ideal, but not feasible.
(2) Pages, links, URLs change from time to time. Links get broken. That
actually works, and with moderate care the breakings are a minor
inconvenience.

While the FAQ should remain called a FAQ because "FAQ" is well-known, it
should be subtitled with what a FAQ really is - a source of "Frequently
Needed Answers".

Wed said:
Right: and if the Initial Request and Call For Votes (CFV) (if
followed) are both made as well-formed XML fragment then the
maintainer's task is as simple as copy-n-paste the final variant into
the relevant section (if voted YES).

The maintainer's task would be very greatly simplified thereby, because
the number of requests would be greatly reduced thereby.

The idea of voting is REALLY STUPID. It empowers idiots, of which there
is an ample supply. A FAQ maintainer must be selected as one of
sufficient experience and judgement to be able to tell when there is, or
will be, a general consensus among the /cognoscenti/ in favour of a
particular change. He should be like the dog I had as a child; the dog
listened to whatever he was told, and then did exactly what he wanted to
do.

In planning a FAQ-update system, one must allow for three distinct types
of request, and anything between. Examples :-

(1a) Message : "Please change the link XY1.htm#ab to be XY2#bc as I've
shuffled my site."
(1b) Message : "'Bated breath' is not spelt 'baited breath'; the latter
will confuse many non-Anglos who try to look it up."

(1) is no problem; the maintainer should usually be able to implement
the change in the master copy while the requesting message is first
open. Requesting in Mail (or by Web form) suffices. For (1b), it is
not appropriate to request in News (except /en passant/); for (1a) it
may be appropriate in by doubling as a public announcement.

(2) Message from someone like (say) LRN : "I think FAQ 4.X should be
improved; here's why; here's how". VK's method might work. However, if
the FAQ maintainer is sure that LRN's words are, or can rapidly be
converted to, a significant improvement, then the change should be
implemented directly. Further discussion should be based on the new
version.

(3) A typical Google user has a problem apparently matching FAQ 4.Y, but
cannot solve it with what 4.Y says. One can at most expect a cry for
help by Mail, Mews, or Web-form. The article may have become inadequate
because of changed browser circumstances, or may always have been
inadequate; the article may be inadequately written, or the user may
just be obtuse.

A FAQ maintainer should not seek for perfection in each change; instead,
he should seek for rapid improvement of any part known to need it.

IMHO, it would be useful if each section, down to the 4.X or 3.X.Y
level, were to be dated (as YYYY-MM-DD of course; no possible FFF
inanities) with the date of the latest non-cosmetic change.

It's a good idea to read the newsgroup and its old FAQ. See below.

Wed said:
Spreading the FAQ document over more than one web page is a disaster ...

a) for those using dialup access paid by the minute who want to read the
web page offline;

b) for those using a laptop wanting to read the web page away from a
phone socket or a secure WiFi transceiver, and hence want to read it
offline.

Not necessarily. If the FAQ pages, with any CSS or JS include files
needed, are routinely zipped together, then they can be readily
downloaded as a unit and unzipped at leisure when off-line. The FAQ
pages proper must include instruction on unzipping (FAQs are read by the
naive) but that need only be "To fetch Zipped FAQ, read page _LINK_"
with the linked page including "To download, _LINK_", both in slightly
more words.
The FAQ document needs to be simple enough to be posted to
comp.lang.javascript. This pretty well forces it to be capable of being
(re)formatted as a single text document.

Not necessarily. The division into Sec 4 (Mon/Fri) and Rest (Wed) was
good, though I'd now suggest that Sec 4 need be posted only on Monday
and Friday be used for something like "newish/future bits". Regulars
would then not need to re-visit Mon & Wed sections every week.

The FAQ is necessarily long (although Part 2 might be concentrated
without loss) and really does need to be split, both for sheer size
reasons and for ease of search (If I'm searching for something of
Section-4 type, IE6 tends to search irrelevant sections). But Section 4
should not be split into separate articles.

It's no use relying on people guessing the right search terms to use.

Agreed. I spent some time searching for information on "idling" Windows
XP as I was convinced that I needed a 5-letter word beginning with S
(such as Sleep) and failed to think of "Stand-by". And I've still
failed to find any mention of how to exit from Stand-by, except that it
can require a password).

VK

Dr said:
The idea of voting is REALLY STUPID. It empowers idiots, of which there
is an ample supply.

Who would you call "idiot" from the currently proposed list? And how do
you propose to take a decision without voting? By who's post came the
last? By who screamed lauder and wrote nastier?
A FAQ maintainer must be selected as one of
sufficient experience and judgement to be able to tell when there is, or
will be, a general consensus among the /cognoscenti/ in favour of a
particular change.

That would be too much of sinecura for FAQ maintainer :) because a
"general consensus" is not possible among the people who wouldn't give
up their rights to affect on FAQ content. That will be the same endless
circus with each FAQ post followed by votum separatum, response on it,
intensive discussion on who can speak English and who has a clue in
JavaScript etc.
He should be like the dog I had as a child; the dog
listened to whatever he was told, and then did exactly what he wanted to
do.

Right: and Dr.Stockton throwing the stick :)
Truthfully I had the biggest doubts over your name while making the
list proposal. From one side you are definitely an old cabbal member;
from the other side (no offence this time) you are the most effective
text obfuscation engine I know :) - you have a talent to bring a
simple text to the level of no readability and always in the name of a
better readability :) So I would like to see all textual changes being
monitored by at least few more native English speakers.

<snip>

Truthfully, I'm getting a bit tired of this "now to improve our FAQ in
the absolutely best way" discussion. It goes perpetually for two years
by now: Congress doesn't take so long. I believe there is an agreement
that Randy Webb is the next FAQ maintainer. If it's true then let him
prove it by changing a single line in FAQ (to show server access). And
let's the f start doing something.

You don't want a strict procedure and voting? Fine. Just do it in the
way you want it, I will not push my updates neither comment on FAQ
posts now : so do not be accused of "spoiling the consensus".

If it comes to nowhere again when it will be pretty much the end of FAQ
as it used to be.

Randy Webb

VK said the following on 11/24/2006 9:16 AM:
Who would you call "idiot" from the currently proposed list?

He didn't say there was. He said the idea of voting empowers idiots, and
it does. The very idea of it is STUPID.
And how do you propose to take a decision without voting?

The same way it was done in the past. You tell the dog what to do and
the dog does whatever he wants to do.
By who's post came the last? By who screamed lauder and wrote nastier?

That would be too much of sinecura for FAQ maintainer :)
Nonsense.

because a "general consensus" is not possible among the people who
wouldn't give up their rights to affect on FAQ content.

That is true. Not for reasons you think, but for the fact that anybody
with Usenet access can "affect on FAQ content" and no, you wont *ever*
get a consensus out of 100% of the people.
That will be the same endless circus with each FAQ post followed by
votum separatum, response on it, intensive discussion on who can speak
English and who has a clue in JavaScript etc.

Time will tell.
Right: and Dr.Stockton throwing the stick :)
Truthfully I had the biggest doubts over your name while making the
list proposal.

Your doubts, and beliefs of people, has been shown in the past to not
mean much. But you still didn't answer my question about that list.
From one side you are definitely an old cabbal member;
from the other side (no offence this time) you are the most effective
text obfuscation engine I know :) - you have a talent to bring a
simple text to the level of no readability and always in the name of a
better readability :) So I would like to see all textual changes being
monitored by at least few more native English speakers.

<snip>

Truthfully, I'm getting a bit tired of this "now to improve our FAQ in
the absolutely best way" discussion.

Then why do you keep partaking in it other to complain about it?
It goes perpetually for two years by now: Congress doesn't take so long.

This discussion has gone on for about two weeks now. This thread is 4
days old according to Google. The post that started this discussion is
dated from the 15th of this month. Today is the 25th. I am not sure what
calendar you use but on the one I use, that is only 10 days.
I believe there is an agreement that Randy Webb is the next FAQ maintainer.

That is my understanding to date but it is just as apt to change
tomorrow as it is to stay the same.
If it's true then let him prove it by changing a single line in FAQ (to
show server access). And let's the f start doing something.

The day I log into jibbering.com to change something to prove something
to you will never come my friend. If my statement that I have server
access isn't enough for you, then move on.
You don't want a strict procedure and voting? Fine. Just do it in the
way you want it, I will not push my updates neither comment on FAQ
posts now : so do not be accused of "spoiling the consensus".

Don't make promises you can't keep. Nobody has said anything about you
contributing (or not) to the FAQ. You have the same right anybody else
does. You can make a request and then it either gets added or not. I can
assure you of this though, if Richard won't approve your garbage
entries, I won't add them either.

<snip>

Randy Webb

VK said the following on 11/22/2006 5:39 PM:
Right: and if the Initial Request and Call For Votes (CFV) (if
followed)

For the foreseeable future, it won't be followed.
are both made as well-formed XML fragment then the
maintainer's task is as simple as copy-n-paste the final variant into
the relevant section (if voted YES).

The voting is a problem. Personally, I don't see a need for it as the
people you propose to have on your list will only reply if there is a
problem with it. To ask them to reply to say "I Agree" is, well, stupid.
I just about know, without seeing them post, whether they would agree
with something or not.
No one is asking from requestors to develop a full-scaled validating
XML document with prolog, matching DTD etc. The task is as simple as to
put properly a couple of tags and to use properly <del> and <ins> tags
(if request for update). If it constitutes too much of challenge for
some person, then most probably this person did not reach yet the level
to request any updates, she is still on the stage to *read* FAQ and ask
questions if something is not clear.

Then why do you keep asking for entries in the FAQ? You should still be
reading it and learning from it - based on your past history of posting
here.
Yes, before to request to change something, they have to read that
something in full and possibly in the context of surrounding topics.
They have to demonstrate an ability to navigate across the Web (at
least in the most primitive form), be able to hit the right button (at
least from the 3rd attempt) and be interested in improving group FAQ
(at least up to the level to spend extra 30sec for it). I see nothing
wrong in some most primitive medical and moral testing :) of a person
before a bunch of people will start discussing the request.

I am not changing the way the FAQ gets changed. The current system is
fine for now. Right now, I have no less than 50 posts to go through and
try to get the FAQ updated first. It doesn't mean that it won't change
in the future, it just won't be changed now.
Great to have it confirmed.

This is what I meant.

I did better :)

No, you did not answer the question. I didn't ask for a list, I asked
how you proposed to be able to add/remove people from that list. What
criteria is to be set? And, who sets that criteria?
I started the list and I have shown how to possibly make it.

Yes, but a list wasn't my question.
I posted the initial list, Matt Kruse asked to take him off
but added few more people. You may now add/remove your own names.
The others in the list is welcome to do the same. I personally do not like
too much the idea of "voters by honor":thus people who did not post at
c.l.j. for many years already yet included because they were great
posters 4,5,6 years ago. IMO that should be a practically usable list,
not a historical hall of fame.

And my question still remains. What is the criteria to keep your
proposed list idea "practical"?

Fri said:
I believe there is an agreement
that Randy Webb is the next FAQ maintainer.

The newsgroup has not, AFAIR, been really asked its opinion on that.
If it's true then let him
prove it by changing a single line in FAQ (to show server access).

There can be absolutely no doubt, when/if we have a new FAQ maintainer,
that the middle of FAQ 8.1 Section 5.2 paragraph 1 needs changing, and
the maintainer should have no difficulty in deciding how to change it.

ISTM that the new maintainer's first completely-updated edition should
be FAQ 9.0 (or higher), so that numbers between 8.1 and 9.0 could be
used to label any intermediate versions.

Until one has actually tried something, one never knows whether there
may be some unsuspected difficulty. Therefore, ISTM wise that a new
maintainer should ASAP alter the version at the standard jibbering URL -
either by releasing a version with that paragraph changed, or by
releasing either a re-dated version of 8.1 or a
virtually-indistinguishable version of 8.1 with, say, the final
full-stop doubled.

Randy Webb

Dr J R Stockton said the following on 11/25/2006 1:58 PM:
In comp.lang.javascript message

The newsgroup has not, AFAIR, been really asked its opinion on that.

And to date, nobody has disapproved of the notion either.
There can be absolutely no doubt, when/if we have a new FAQ maintainer,
that the middle of FAQ 8.1 Section 5.2 paragraph 1 needs changing, and
the maintainer should have no difficulty in deciding how to change it.

That has been changed in the revised file I am working on.
ISTM that the new maintainer's first completely-updated edition should
be FAQ 9.0 (or higher), so that numbers between 8.1 and 9.0 could be
used to label any intermediate versions.

It is numbered 9.0 and dated - tentatively - 2006-12-01.
Until one has actually tried something, one never knows whether there
may be some unsuspected difficulty.

True, and right now my difficulty is in cscript and a script I can't
make execute for me :\
Therefore, ISTM wise that a new maintainer should ASAP alter the
version at the standard jibbering URL - either by releasing a version
with that paragraph changed, or by releasing either a re-dated version
of 8.1 or a virtually-indistinguishable version of 8.1 with, say, the
final full-stop doubled.

The .xml file I am working on is at http://jibbering.com/faq/newfaq/ but
I can't get the index.html file autogenerated for me right now but the
new version has the name changes, along with a lot of other things
changed so far.