FAQ Proposed Anchor Names

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Randy Webb, Dec 19, 2006.

  1. Randy Webb

    Randy Webb Guest

    The list below has the current section number, proposed anchor name, and
    then the current title of that section. Some make sense, some don't.
    There are a few that don't have proposed anchor names yet as I couldn't
    come up with a decent anchor name. Some anchor names are duplicated
    (#ajax is one), where the idea would be to combine those entries into
    one entry.

    Any proposed anchor name changes, thoughts, or ideas are welcome.

    The major problem with changing from numbers to word anchors are the
    links in the archives. Three possible solutions that I have come up with
    so far are:

    1) A script in the FAQ to redirect from number anchors to word anchors.
    It would be a simple array that maps from old to new anchors and uses
    location.replace to redirect. The problem would be alerting users to
    change bookmarks to reflect the new anchors.

    2) Double anchors. Adding multiple anchors to an entry so that old
    anchors and new anchors still work. The problem with this approach is
    that it almost defeats the purpose of changing to word anchors. It could
    also lead to 3/4/5 anchors in one spot.

    3) A server solution to redirect to the new anchor with a note to the
    user to re-bookmark with the new anchor.

    If anybody has a different solution, feel free to post it.

    1 #meta
    meta-FAQ meta-questions
    2 #tips
    comp.lang.javascript tips
    2.1 #newsgroups
    Which newsgroup deals with javascript?
    2.2 #offtopic
    What questions are off-topic for clj?
    2.3 #homework <g>
    What do I have to do before posting to clj?
    2.4 #notAnswered
    Why was my post not answered?
    2.5 #direct
    How do I direct someone to this FAQ?
    2.6 #ecmascript
    What is ECMAScript?
    2.7 #jscript
    What is JScript?
    2.8 #objectmodel
    What are object models?
    2.9 #dom
    What is the document object model?
    2.10 #international
    Internationalisation in javascript.
    2.11 #archives
    .. Where are the clj archives located?
    2.12 #future
    What does the future hold for ECMAScript?
    3 #resources
    javascript resources
    3.1 #books
    What books cover javascript?
    3.2 #onlineresources
    What online resources are available?
    4 #quickAnswers
    Quick Answers
    4.1 #protect
    How do I protect my javascript code?
    4.2 #disable
    How can I disable the back button in a web browser?
    4.3 #clientFile
    How can I access the client-side filesystem?
    4.4 #cookies
    How can I see in javascript if a web browser accepts cookies?
    4.5 #protect
    How can I protect a webpage in javascript?
    4.6 #rounding
    How do I convert a Number into a String with exactly 2 decimal places?
    4.7 #rounding
    Why does 5 * 1.015 != 5.075 or 0.06+0.01 != 0.07?
    4.8 #frameCommunications
    How do I communicate between frames in a web browser?
    4.9 #windowSize
    How do I find the size of the window/browser canvas area?
    4.10 #childWindow
    How do I check to see if a childwindow is open, before opening
    another?
    4.11 #framePrint
    Why does framename.print() not print the correct frame in IE?
    4.12 #parseInt
    Why does parseInt('09') give an error?
    4.13 #formAccess
    How do I get the value of a form control?
    4.14 #windowClose
    How do I close a window and why does it not work on the first one?
    4.15 #dynWrite
    How do I modify the current page in a browser?
    4.16 #trimSpace
    How do I trim whitespace - LTRIM/RTRIM/TRIM?
    4.17 #cache
    How do I force a reload from the server/prevent caching?
    4.18
    How do I get a perl/asp/php variable into client-side js?

    A search of the archives turns up zero references to 4.18 and/or 4_18
    other than FAQ postings.

    4.19 #security
    Why do I get permission denied when accessing a frame/window?
    4.20 #setTimeout
    How do I make a 10 second delay?
    4.21 #convert
    Why does 1+1 equal 11? or How do I convert a string to a number?
    4.22 #random
    How do I generate a random integer in [1..N]?
    4.23 #print
    How do I change print settings with window.print()?
    4.24
    I have <a href="javascript:somefunction()"> what ... ?
    4.25 #formAccess
    My element is named myselect[] , how do I access it?
    4.26 #browserDetect
    How do I detect Opera/Netscape/IE?
    4.27 #disableMouse
    How do I disable the right mouse button?
    4.28 #confirmBox
    How do I change the confirm box to say yes/no or default to cancel?
    4.29 #logout
    How do I log-out a user when they leave my site?
    4.30 #lastModified
    How do I format Last Modified date with javascript
    4.31 #rollovers
    Why are my Rollovers so slow?
    4.32
    How do I change the text in the url/location bar?

    A search of the archives for 4.32 returns 19 hits
    Of those 19:
    15 are FAQ postings
    1 is a legitimate answer to a question.

    A search of the archives for 4_32 returns 1 hit

    4.33 #saveAs
    How do I prompt a "Save As" dialog for an accepted mime type?
    4.34 #serverScript
    How do I run a server side script?
    4.35 #status
    I have window.status="Moomin"; why doesn't the statusbar change?
    4.36 #changeChrome
    How do I modify the current browser window?
    4.37
    How do I POST a form to a new window?
    4.38 #ajax
    How do I download a page to a variable?
    4.39 #bracketNotation
    How do I access a property of an object using a string?
    4.40 #eval
    When should I use eval?
    4.41 #globalVariables
    Why doesn't the global variable "divId" always refer to the
    element with id="divId"?
    4.42 #newWindow although #popups might be better
    How do I open a new window with javascript?
    4.43 #errorReport
    How do I get my browser to report javascript errors?
    4.44 #ajax
    What is AJAX?
    5 #comments
    Comments and Suggestions
    5.1 #faqentry
    Why do some posts have <FAQENTRY> in them ?
    5.2 #suggestion
    How do I make a suggestion?

    --
    Randy
    Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

    Randy Webb, Dec 19, 2006

  2. Randy Webb wrote:

    > Any proposed anchor name changes, thoughts, or ideas are welcome.

    I'm happy so long as acronyms - especially those formed from the topic
    titles - aren't used.

    > The major problem with changing from numbers to word anchors are the
    > links in the archives. Three possible solutions that I have come up with
    > so far are:
    >
    > 1) A script in the FAQ to redirect from number anchors to word anchors.
    > It would be a simple array that maps from old to new anchors and uses
    > location.replace to redirect. The problem would be alerting users to
    > change bookmarks to reflect the new anchors.
    >
    > 2) Double anchors. Adding multiple anchors to an entry so that old
    > anchors and new anchors still work. The problem with this approach is
    > that it almost defeats the purpose of changing to word anchors. It could
    > also lead to 3/4/5 anchors in one spot.

    This could be modified to display a message that the destination anchor
    has changed. For a transitional period - say, a year - a notice could be
    added advertising the changes, and the notice could be moved if the user
    arrives using an old fragment. It wouldn't work for everyone, but for many.

    The end of the transitional period would be awkward, though, as URIs in
    the archives would only lead to the FAQ, rather than the intended part.

    Just another alternative.

    > 3) A server solution to redirect to the new anchor with a note to the
    > user to re-bookmark with the new anchor.

    A request doesn't include the fragment identifier, so the server will
    never know if it's old or not. Relocation to a part of the document is
    performed by the client.

    [snip]

    Mike

    Michael Winter, Dec 19, 2006

  3. Randy Webb

    Evertjan. Guest

    Michael Winter wrote on 19 dec 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

    > This could be modified to display a message that the destination
    > anchor has changed. For a transitional period - say, a year - a notice
    > could be added advertising the changes, and the notice could be moved
    > if the user arrives using an old fragment. It wouldn't work for
    > everyone, but for many.
    >
    > The end of the transitional period would be awkward, though, as URIs
    > in the archives would only lead to the FAQ, rather than the intended
    > part.

    Why not keep dual anchors for a few years,
    while showing the value of the new ones only?

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., Dec 19, 2006
  4. In comp.lang.javascript message <>,
    Tue, 19 Dec 2006 00:36:07, Randy Webb <> wrote:

    >4.6 #rounding
    > How do I convert a Number into a String with exactly 2 decimal places?
    >4.7 #rounding
    > Why does 5 * 1.015 != 5.075 or 0.06+0.01 != 0.07?

    Those sections should not be combined, and #rounding is not
    appropriate for 4.7. Maybe #accuracy ?

    4.7 Subject : suggest change from/to
    4.7 Why does 5 * 1.015 != 5.075 or 0.06+0.01 != 0.07?
    4.7 Why do 5 * 1.015 != 5.075 and 0.06+0.01 != 0.07 ?

    --
    (c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ???@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.

    Food expiry ambiguities: <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/date2k-3.htm#Food>

    Dr J R Stockton, Dec 19, 2006
  5. Randy Webb

    Randy Webb Guest

    Evertjan. said the following on 12/19/2006 4:23 PM:
    > Michael Winter wrote on 19 dec 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:
    >
    >> This could be modified to display a message that the destination
    >> anchor has changed. For a transitional period - say, a year - a notice
    >> could be added advertising the changes, and the notice could be moved
    >> if the user arrives using an old fragment. It wouldn't work for
    >> everyone, but for many.
    >>
    >> The end of the transitional period would be awkward, though, as URIs
    >> in the archives would only lead to the FAQ, rather than the intended
    >> part.
    >>

    > Why not keep dual anchors for a few years,
    > while showing the value of the new ones only?

    It would be trivial to do, but, it doesn't alert the user to change
    bookmarks or even let them know that the anchors have been changed. And
    the whole idea was to get away from the numbered anchors and go to word
    anchors.

    In the end, in order to maintain the URL's in the archives, it may be
    the only way to do it.

    Randy Webb, Dec 19, 2006
  6. Randy Webb

    Randy Webb Guest

    Dr J R Stockton said the following on 12/19/2006 5:38 PM:
    > In comp.lang.javascript message <>,
    > Tue, 19 Dec 2006 00:36:07, Randy Webb <> wrote:
    >
    >> 4.6 #rounding
    >> How do I convert a Number into a String with exactly 2 decimal places?
    >> 4.7 #rounding
    >> Why does 5 * 1.015 != 5.075 or 0.06+0.01 != 0.07?

    > Those sections should not be combined, and #rounding is not
    > appropriate for 4.7. Maybe #accuracy ?

    Yes, accuracy would be a better anchor name for 4.7. I considering
    combining them because they are so closely associated as both deal with
    modifying numbers.

    > 4.7 Subject : suggest change from/to
    > 4.7 Why does 5 * 1.015 != 5.075 or 0.06+0.01 != 0.07?
    > 4.7 Why do 5 * 1.015 != 5.075 and 0.06+0.01 != 0.07 ?

    I think the way it is worded implies you can have either situation where
    using "and", to me, implies you are looking for an answer to both, not
    one or the other.

    Randy Webb, Dec 20, 2006