FAQ Topic - How do I modify the current page in a browser?

FAQ server

FAQ Topic - How do I modify the current page in a browser?

Using the DOM and Microsoft's innerHTML extension, the following
would be sufficient to modify the content of any element that
can have content:
`` <div id="anID">Some Content</div> '' with script of
`` document.getElementById("anID").innerHTML=
"Some <em>new</em> Content"; ''
Where "anID" is the (unique on the HTML page) ID attribute value
of the element to modify.

The script below adds support for `` document.all '' capable browsers.
Support for NN4 is also possible, but certain issues mean that
it is not listed here. Using the example above, the call would
be written:
`` DynWrite('anID',"Some <em>new</em> Content") ''
With the below code also in the page:

DocDom = (document.getElementById?true:false);
DocAll = (document.all?true:false);
DocStr=''
if (DocAll) DocStr="return document.all[id]"
if (DocDom) DocStr="return document.getElementById(id)"
GetRef=new Function("id", DocStr)
if (DocStr=='') { DynWrite=new Function("return false") } else {
DynWrite=new Function("id", "S", "GetRef(id).innerHTML=S; return true")
}

An alternative DynWrite function:

http://www.jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/alt_dynwrite.html

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/innerHTML.asp

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref/dom_el_ref8.html#1018427

===
comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://www.jibbering.com/faq/.
The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.

PDannyD

On Monday 28 August 2006 00:00, FAQ server [[email protected]] wrote

As an aside, in case anyone doesn't know, the Opera web browser allows you
to view the page source code, edit it, save it back to the cache then
reload the amended page from the cache.

Very useful for quick tinkering, especially of someone else's pages.