FAQ Topic - How do I trim whitespace - trim/trimRight/trimLeft (2008-05-01)

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by FAQ server, May 1, 2008.

  1. FAQ server

    FAQ server Guest

    FAQ Topic - How do I trim whitespace -
    trim/trimRight/trimLeft

    Using Regular Expressions (JavaScript 1.2/JScript 3+) :

    String.prototype.trimLeft =
    function()
    {
    return this.replace(/^\s+/,'');
    }
    String.prototype.trimRight =
    function()
    {
    return this.replace(/\s+$/,'');
    }
    String.prototype.trim =
    function()
    {
    return this.replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g,'');
    }

    http://docs.sun.com/source/816-6408-10/regexp.htm

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6wzad2b2.aspx

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression

    http://www.informatics.sussex.ac.uk/courses/it/tutorials/nsJavaScriptRef/contents.htm

    http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-valid.htm

    comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html.
    The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers. The sendings of these
    daily posts are proficiently hosted by http://www.pair.com.

    FAQ server, May 1, 2008