FAQ Topic - How do I trim whitespace - trim/trimRight/trimLeft (2008-08-28)

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by FAQ server, Aug 28, 2008.

  1. FAQ server

    FAQ server Guest

    FAQ Topic - How do I trim whitespace -
    trim/trimRight/trimLeft

    Using Regular Expressions (JavaScript 1.2/JScript 3+) :

    String.prototype.trimLeft =
    function()
    {
    return this.replace(/^\s+/,'');
    }
    String.prototype.trimRight =
    function()
    {
    return this.replace(/\s+$/,'');
    }
    String.prototype.trim =
    function()
    {
    return this.replace(/^\s+|\s+$/g,'');
    }

    http://docs.sun.com/source/816-6408-10/regexp.htm

    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6wzad2b2.aspx

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regular_expression

    http://www.informatics.sussex.ac.uk/courses/it/tutorials/nsJavaScriptRef/contents.htm

    http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-valid.htm

    comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html.
    The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers. The sendings of these
    daily posts are proficiently hosted by http://www.pair.com.

    FAQ server, Aug 28, 2008

  2. In comp.lang.javascript message <48b5dc7c$0$90275$.
    dk>, Wed, 27 Aug 2008 23:00:02, FAQ server <>
    posted:

    >http://www.informatics.sussex.ac.uk/courses/it/tutorials/nsJavaScriptRef/contents.htm

    Note : while that page is elderly, it provides an excellent source for
    the text that it contains, because (unlike so much else) it does not
    override the font settings of the browser.

    --
    (c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.

    Dr J R Stockton, Aug 28, 2008