FAQ Topic - Internationalisation in javascript.

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by FAQ server, Dec 3, 2006.

  1. FAQ server

    FAQ server Guest

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    FAQ Topic - Internationalisation in javascript.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    There are but a few Internationalisation features in JavaScript.
    The various toString() methods are all implementation dependent,
    but tend to use either UK or US settings. ECMAScript Ed. 3 has
    introduced some capabilities, including the toLocaleString()
    method which should create a string based on the host's locale.
    Much more support is expected in future versions of JavaScript.


    ===
    Postings such as this are automatically sent once a day. Their
    goal is to answer repeated questions, and to offer the content to
    the community for continuous evaluation/improvement. The complete
    comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://www.jibbering.com/faq/.
    The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.
     
    FAQ server, Dec 3, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. FAQ server wrote:

    > Much more support is expected in future versions of JavaScript.


    Does anyone know the status of the ECMAScript version 4 work?

    Peter
     
    Peter Michaux, Dec 3, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In comp.lang.javascript message
    <45721393$0$49207$>, Sun, 3 Dec 2006 00:00:01,
    FAQ server <> wrote:
    >-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    >FAQ Topic - Internationalisation in javascript.
    >-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    >There are but a few Internationalisation features in JavaScript.
    >The various toString() methods are all implementation dependent,
    >but tend to use either UK or US settings. ECMAScript Ed. 3 has
    >introduced some capabilities, including the toLocaleString()
    >method which should create a string based on the host's locale.
    >Much more support is expected in future versions of JavaScript.


    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    FAQ Topic - Internationalisation in javascript.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Internationalisation means using one form which is both acceptable and
    unambiguous everywhere. By default, javascript has no such features;
    but if an international standard exists it can be coded for.

    For example, there is an international standard for numeric Gregorian
    date format; but there is none for decimal and thousands separators.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    FAQ Topic - Multinationalisation in javascript.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

    Multinationalisation means using different forms for different nations.
    It cannot work well in general, because it requires a knowledge of all
    national preferences and the ability to choose the right one, in an
    environment where many systems are inappropriately set anyway.

    JavaScript has a few Multinationalisation features.
    The various toString() methods are all implementation dependent,
    but tend to use either UK or US settings (not necessarily correctly).
    ECMAScript Ed. 3
    introduced some capabilities, including the toLocaleString()
    method which should create a string based on the host's locale.
    Much more support is expected in future versions of JavaScript.


    --
    (c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 IE 6.
    Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - w. FAQish topics, links, acronyms
    PAS EXE etc : <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/programs/> - see 00index.htm
    Dates - miscdate.htm moredate.htm js-dates.htm pas-time.htm critdate.htm etc.
     
    Dr J R Stockton, Dec 3, 2006
    #3
  4. FAQ server

    VK Guest

    Dr J R Stockton wrote:
    > Multinationalisation means using different forms for different nations.


    Yes - but in commerce. I see no reason to liken JavaScript to some
    cross-nations corporation to use on it "internationalization",
    "multinationalization" or "globalization" :) More over even I switch
    my computer date format from mm.dd.yyyyy to something else I will not
    become French or German :) That just means that at the given moment of
    time I want to see the given data in the given way.This way nation
    involvment in the term is ambigous.
    In the computer indistry it is regurally called "Regional settings",
    "System local settings", "Locale settings" and variants.
    Anything of above in the form "Using ... in JavaScript" would be the
    best.

    --
    "...internationalisation may take on three different meanings:
    internationalisation (within or across national markets),
    multinationalisation, and globalisation. Each of these describes a
    stage of development which may be encountered after the firm has
    expanded its trade outside the domestic markets. Unfortunately, these
    three concepts are not very clearly defined. While internationalisation
    refers to a gradual, low-scale development process,
    multinationalisation refers to a stage in which a firm has already
    established foreign production units..."
    Petrella, Riccardo, "International, Multinationalization and
    Globalization of R&D: Toward a New Division of Labor in Science and
    Technology?"
     
    VK, Dec 3, 2006
    #4
  5. FAQ server

    VK Guest

    VK wrote:
    > Yes - but in commerce. I see no reason to liken JavaScript to some
    > cross-nations corporation to use on it "internationalization",
    > "multinationalization" or "globalization" :) More over even I switch
    > my computer date format from mm.dd.yyyyy to something else I will not
    > become French or German :) That just means that at the given moment of
    > time I want to see the given data in the given way.This way nation
    > involvment in the term is ambigous.
    > In the computer indistry it is regurally called "Regional settings",
    > "System local settings", "Locale settings" and variants.
    > Anything of above in the form "Using ... in JavaScript" would be the
    > best.


    involvment = involvement
    ambigous = ambiguous
    indistry = industry
    regurally = regularly

    My keyboard is possessed today, that's my story and I stay on it. :)
     
    VK, Dec 3, 2006
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. FAQ server
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    105
    FAQ server
    Aug 9, 2006
  2. FAQ server
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    93
    FAQ server
    Oct 6, 2006
  3. FAQ server
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    90
    FAQ server
    Oct 24, 2008
  4. FAQ server
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    80
    FAQ server
    Nov 7, 2008
  5. FAQ server
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    92
    FAQ server
    Nov 21, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page