FAQ Topic - What books cover javascript?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by FAQ server, Feb 4, 2007.

  1. FAQ server

    FAQ server Guest

    FAQ Topic - What books cover javascript?

    The only book currently endorsed by c.l.j. regulars is:

    JavaScript: The Definitive Guide, 4th Edition By David Flanagan
    ISBN:0-596-00048-0

    Also by David Flanagan: JavaScript Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition.
    ISBN 0-596-00411-7 for language and API reference alone.

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscript4/

    Errata:

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscript4/errata/

    The Fifth Edition has been released but has not been reviewed thoroughly
    enough to gain a full endorsement from the regulars of c.l.j.

    JavaScript: The Definitive Guide, 5th Edition By David Flanagan
    ISBN:0-596-10199-6

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscript5/

    Errata:

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/jscript5/errata/

    Davaid Flanagan's Blog Site:

    http://www.davidflanagan.com/

    ===
    comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://www.jibbering.com/faq/.
    The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.
    FAQ server, Feb 4, 2007

  2. On Feb 3, 4:00 pm, "FAQ server" <> wrote:
    > FAQ Topic - What books cover javascript?
    >
    > The only book currently endorsed by c.l.j. regulars is:
    >
    > JavaScript: The Definitive Guide, 4th Edition By David Flanagan
    > ISBN:0-596-00048-0
    >
    > Also by David Flanagan: JavaScript Pocket Reference, 2nd Edition.
    > ISBN 0-596-00411-7 for language and API reference alone.

    <snip>

    > The Fifth Edition has been released but has not been reviewed thoroughly
    > enough to gain a full endorsement from the regulars of c.l.j.
    >
    > JavaScript: The Definitive Guide, 5th Edition By David Flanagan
    > ISBN:0-596-10199-6

    I have the fourth and fifth editions, use both quite a bit and find
    them both invaluable. I still use the fourth a lot when I am testing
    old browsers. I think that a beginner is roughly as well served by the
    fifth edition as by the fourth regardless of the outstanding errata in
    the new edition. (I've reported a lot of errata to Flanagan but he has
    been too busy to post it on the O'Reilly site.) I say just roll with
    it and recommend both editions. Anyone reading that FAQ entry is going
    to buy the fifth anyway.

    Peter
    Peter Michaux, Feb 4, 2007