FAQ Topic - What is a host object? (2010-04-04)

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by FAQ server, Apr 4, 2010.

  1. FAQ server

    FAQ server Guest

    FAQ Topic - What is a host object?

    A host object is any object supplied by the host environment to
    complete the execution environment of ECMAScript.

    A host object is not part of the ECMAScript implementation, but is
    exposed to the ECMAScript implementation.

    A host object may be implemented as a native ECMAScript object, however
    this is not required. For example, Internet Explorer, implements many
    scriptable DOM objects as ActiveX Objects, often resulting in unexpected errors.

    http://jibbering.com/faq//faq/notes/code-guidelines/#hostObjects

    The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
    http://jibbering.com/faq/

    --

    The sendings of these daily posts are proficiently hosted
    by http://www.pair.com.

    FAQ server, Apr 4, 2010

  2. FAQ server wrote:
    > FAQ Topic - What is a host object?
    >
    > A host object is any object supplied by the host environment to
    > complete the execution environment of ECMAScript.
    >
    > A host object is not part of the ECMAScript implementation, but is
    > exposed to the ECMAScript implementation.
    >
    > A host object may be implemented as a native ECMAScript object, however
    > this is not required. For example, Internet Explorer, implements many

    ^
    That extra comma should not be there. Fixed.
    --
    Garrett

    Garrett Smith, Apr 4, 2010

  3. FAQ server wrote:
    > FAQ Topic - What is a host object?
    >
    > A host object is any object supplied by the host environment to
    > complete the execution environment of ECMAScript.
    >
    > A host object is not part of the ECMAScript implementation, but is
    > exposed to the ECMAScript implementation.
    >
    > A host object may be implemented as a native ECMAScript object, however
    > this is not required. For example, Internet Explorer, implements many
    > scriptable DOM objects as ActiveX Objects, often resulting in unexpected errors.
    >
    > http://jibbering.com/faq//faq/notes/code-guidelines/#hostObjects

    That URI is not right. I've adjusted the URI in the XML so that when
    Bart's program parses it, the resulting URI should be the one wanted:

    http://jibbering.com/faq/notes/code-guidelines/#hostObjects
    --
    Garrett

    Garrett Smith, Apr 4, 2010
  4. In comp.lang.javascript message <hp9ebg$9dv$-
    september.org>, Sat, 3 Apr 2010 23:15:56, Garrett Smith
    <> posted:

    >> FAQ Topic - What is a host object?

    Needs two or three examples for browsers, and one or two for JScript in
    WSH.

    --
    (c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
    Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (RFCs 5536/7)

    Dr J R Stockton, Apr 5, 2010
  5. Dr J R Stockton wrote:
    > In comp.lang.javascript message <hp9ebg$9dv$-
    > september.org>, Sat, 3 Apr 2010 23:15:56, Garrett Smith
    > <> posted:
    >
    >>> FAQ Topic - What is a host object?

    > Needs two or three examples for browsers, and one or two for JScript in
    > WSH.

    I've added a line on my local copy:
    --
    Garrett

    Garrett Smith, Apr 14, 2010
  6. In comp.lang.javascript message <hq51k0$94g$-
    september.org>, Wed, 14 Apr 2010 11:30:22, Garrett Smith
    <> posted:
    >Dr J R Stockton wrote:
    >> In comp.lang.javascript message <hp9ebg$9dv$-
    >> september.org>, Sat, 3 Apr 2010 23:15:56, Garrett Smith
    >> <> posted:

    >> Needs two or three examples for browsers, and one or two for JScript
    >>in
    >> WSH.
    >>

    >I've added a line on my local copy:
    >| Examples of some host objects: document, XMLHttpRequest, WScript.

    AFAIK, WScript is not ordinarily a host object in a browser. The
    examples need to include where each object is hosted.

    Dr J R Stockton, Apr 15, 2010

    <http://peter.michaux.ca/articles/feature-detection-state-of-the-art-browser-scripting>
    --
    Garrett

    Garrett Smith, Apr 16, 2010
  8. In comp.lang.javascript message <hq8dqi$6no$-
    september.org>, Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:17:02, Garrett Smith
    <> posted:

    >| For example, in a browser engine,`XMLHttpRequest` might be available,
    >| with or without standard or proprietary features or events.

    There should be examples for other hosts; WSH for one and preferably at
    least one other.

    Dr J R Stockton, Apr 17, 2010
  9. Dr J R Stockton wrote:
    > In comp.lang.javascript message <hq8dqi$6no$-
    > september.org>, Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:17:02, Garrett Smith
    > <> posted:
    >
    >> | For example, in a browser engine,`XMLHttpRequest` might be available,
    >> | with or without standard or proprietary features or events.
    >> |

    > There should be examples for other hosts; WSH for one and preferably at
    > least one other.

    This entry is to demystify objects in javascript.

    Every time I see misconceptions about host objects on the NG, it has
    involved browsers.

    I would attribute this phenomenon to the plethora of badly written
    scripts and widespread misinformation.

    Having said that, it is fair to include another short example.

    I considered mentioning Yahoo Widgets (Konfabulator) but I don't know
    anything about those and the documentation is not trustworthy because it
    is of poor quality and displays some misconceptions. For example:
    "The outermost scope in the XML file is defined by the widget block."
    <http://manual.widgets.yahoo.com/>

    What "block"?

    Added:
    | Windows Script Host object model has the `WScript` object.

    Any additional proposal to that?

    I would add another myself, but I'm afraid that would exceed my
    knowledge of other host environments -- I'm a browser guy.

    Proposed text:

    Garrett Smith, Apr 18, 2010
  10. Garrett Smith wrote:
    > Dr J R Stockton wrote:
    >> In comp.lang.javascript message <hq8dqi$6no$-
    >> september.org>, Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:17:02, Garrett Smith
    >> <> posted:

    [...]

    > Proposed text:

    [...]