FAQ Topic - What is ECMAScript?

FAQ server

FAQ Topic - What is ECMAScript?

http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm

ECMAScript is the international standard for javascript. JScript
3.0 and JavaScript 1.2 (available with version 4. browsers) are
more or less ECMAScript compliant. In addition ECMA 327 defines
the Compact Profile of ECMAScript by describing the features from
ECMA 262 that may be omitted in some resource-constrained
environments. Note that ECMAScript did not attempt to standardize
the document object model.

The current edition is ECMA-262, 3rd Edition. There is some
support for this edition in JScript 5.0 and JavaScript 1.3.
JScript 5.5 and JavaScript 1.5, in Netscape 6.1 and later, are
compliant (JavaScript 1.5 in Netscape 6 missed some methods).

===
comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://www.jibbering.com/faq/.
The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.

RobG

[...]

I'd like to say that the current idea of posting one FAQ topic per day
(at random it seems) is a *great* idea. Thanks to those involved. :)

Bart Van der Donck

RobG said:
I'd like to say that the current idea of posting one FAQ topic per day
(at random it seems) is a *great* idea. Thanks to those involved. :)

Thanks Rob!
In fact it's not random; it should just follow the order of the
entries.