FAQ - What questions are off-topic for clj?

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by FAQ server, Jul 31, 2006.

  1. FAQ server

    FAQ server Guest

    FAQ - What questions are off-topic for clj?

    The comp.lang.javascript newsgroup deals with ECMAScript
    languages, so any questions about JavaScript or JScript are
    welcome. However, the majority of questions sent to this group
    relates to javascript in a web browser. If you are experiencing
    issues with a particular browser, or the host is not a browser
    at all, please make this information clear.

    Javascript and Java are two completely different languages.
    Java questions should be asked in one of the comp.lang.java.*
    newsgroups; they are not appropriate for clj (as Java and
    javascript are distinct programming languages with only
    superficial similarities due to sharing a C-like syntax and
    some of the characters in their names).

    Questions dealing with other scripting languages, such as
    VBScript, PerlScript or CGI scripting are also off-topic,
    as are HTML-only or CSS-only questions.

    Questions that are specific to Microsoft's JScript may also
    be appropriately asked at:
    microsoft.public.scripting.jscript

    The comp.lang.javasciript newsgroup charter is included in

    http://www.jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/cljs_charter.html

    --
    Postings as these are automatically sent once a day. Their goal
    is to answer repeated questions, and to offer the content to the
    FAQ server, Jul 31, 2006

  2. FAQ server

    Randy Webb Guest

    FAQ server said the following on 7/31/2006 10:00 AM:
    > FAQ - What questions are off-topic for clj?

    <snip>

    > Questions dealing with other scripting languages, such as
    > VBScript, PerlScript or CGI scripting are also off-topic,
    > as are HTML-only or CSS-only questions.

    While that is true, and I agree with it, the charter says differently.

    <snip>

    > The comp.lang.javasciript newsgroup charter is included in

    javascript != javasciript

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Jul 31, 2006

  3. JRS: In article <44ce0ceb$0$15786$>, dated Mon,
    31 Jul 2006 14:00:01 remote, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, FAQ
    server <> posted :

    >FAQ - What questions are off-topic for clj?

    > However, the majority of questions sent to this group
    >relates to javascript in a web browser.

    relate

    >Questions that are specific to Microsoft's JScript may also
    >be appropriately asked at:
    >microsoft.public.scripting.jscript

    Somewhere (but not there) IMHO it should be indicated that JScript is
    for execution locally in Windows, and only a compatible subset is
    suitable for WWW pages - or whatever the true facts are.

    >The comp.lang.javasciript newsgroup charter is included in

    javascript

    >http://www.jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/cljs_charter.html
    >

    >--
    > Postings as these are automatically sent once a day. Their goal

    ^ such ?
    > is to answer repeated questions, and to offer the content to the
    > community for continuous evaluation/improvement. The complete
    > comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://www.jibbering.com/faq/.
    > The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.

    That is not a Sig, and should therefore not be preceded by a standard
    SigSep. A standard Sig should be of no more than four lines. You could
    use, say, "===" to indicate a similar separation.

    Such posts should include the true name, and as much of the locality or
    affiliation as is generally made public, of the poster - in a Sig!.

    Read the newsgroup FAQ.
    Dr John Stockton, Jul 31, 2006
  4. Dr John Stockton wrote:

    > JRS: In article <44ce0ceb$0$15786$>, dated Mon,
    > 31 Jul 2006 14:00:01 remote, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, FAQ
    > server <> posted :
    > >
    > >--
    > > Postings as these are automatically sent once a day. Their goal

    > ^ such ?

    Okay, it's now "Postings such as these are..."

    > > is to answer repeated questions, and to offer the content to the
    > > community for continuous evaluation/improvement. The complete
    > > comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://www.jibbering.com/faq/.
    > > The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.

    > That is not a Sig, and should therefore not be preceded by a standard
    > SigSep. A standard Sig should be of no more than four lines. You could
    > use, say, "===" to indicate a similar separation.
    >
    > Such posts should include the true name, and as much of the locality or
    > affiliation as is generally made public, of the poster - in a Sig!.

    Okay, "-- " is adapted to "===".

    The other remarks from you and Randy apply to the content of the XML
    file.

    > Read the newsgroup FAQ.

    :)

    --