Fast display of large images

ilano

Hi,

I have a requirement to display a series of large images on the screen
(FULLSCREEN) at an expected rate of 30 fps.

Please give me suggestions regarding how this can be achieved with
Java. I did get some heads, but I want to start again with a clear
mind.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
ilano

Andrew Thompson

ilano wrote:
..
...I did get some heads, but I want to start again with a clear
mind.

Did you mean 'leads'?
If so, it might pay to mention what they were, so
other people do not feel that you are treating them
as if they were your paid servants, by repeating
answers to a question that had already been
answered numerous times.

Did you mean 'heads'?
Excellent dude, get back to us once you've come
down.

Did you mean ..something else?

lord.zoltar

Hi,

I have a requirement to display a series of large images on the screen
(FULLSCREEN) at an expected rate of 30 fps.

Please give me suggestions regarding how this can be achieved with
Java. I did get some heads, but I want to start again with a clear
mind.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
ilano

What exactly are the "heads" that you got?

Is it possible to compile these images into some sort of movie file?

ilano

What exactly are the "heads" that you got?

I actually meant "leads" :)
I didn't mention them here so as to not get any biased opinion towards
any such approach.
I will mention at a later point of time, if this discussion becomes
fruitful.
Is it possible to compile these images into some sort of movie file?

I am open to this idea. But, I have to show these images live. In the
sense that they are captured by the camera and have to be immediately
displayed. The frame rate is also very important. Another thing is the
image size is very large around 8 MB per image. I cannot afford to
loose on quality.

Alexey

I actually meant "leads" :)
I didn't mention them here so as to not get any biased opinion towards
any such approach.
I will mention at a later point of time, if this discussion becomes
fruitful.

Why can't you just tell what you've already considered and ask what
people would recommend? Are you afraid we're gonna be biased to one
approach based on your own view? I don't get it.

ilano

Why can't you just tell what you've already considered and ask what
people would recommend? Are you afraid we're gonna be biased to one
approach based on your own view? I don't get it.

Well, It did not go the way I wanted it to.

Anyways, some people suggested me to go for some kind of native API to
achieve the frame rate.

Some suggested use of libraries such as JOGL or LWJGL, but i am not
too sure as they are complex 3D programming, games, etc.

Knute Johnson

ilano said:
Well, It did not go the way I wanted it to.

Anyways, some people suggested me to go for some kind of native API to
achieve the frame rate.

Some suggested use of libraries such as JOGL or LWJGL, but i am not
too sure as they are complex 3D programming, games, etc.

My suggestion would be to get a very fast computer with a fast video
card. I would do active rendering and play with the number of buffers
to get the best performance.

knute...

ilano

My suggestion would be to get a very fast computer with a fast video
card. I would do active rendering and play with the number of buffers
to get the best performance.

knute...- Hide quoted text -

The computer is fast enough, so that is not an issue.
The same thing is achievable from using some C++ library or throught VC
++.

But not the same behavior in Java.

gwoodhouse

The computer is fast enough, so that is not an issue.
The same thing is achievable from using some C++ library or throught VC
++.

But not the same behavior in Java.

Its been a while since ive actually worked with images and displaying
them and such. If this is an application then pre-loading the images
(either through writing to an invisible canvas) seems like your best
idea and then do the whole canvas flip thing.

Gah. End of day and my brain isn't working. If you still need help let
me know (also curious about the other leads that you got fot my own
future reference).

Graeme

ilano

them and such. If this is an application then pre-loading the images
(either through writing to an invisible canvas) seems like your best
idea and then do the whole canvas flip thing.

No, unfortunately I can't do preloading as I have to display them
realtime as captured from a camera.
Gah. End of day and my brain isn't working. If you still need help let
me know (also curious about the other leads that you got fot my own
future reference).

Graeme- Hide quoted text -

I am looking into two libraries lwjgl and jogl for possible solutions.

I came across this article which say in future to speed up swing, they
might start using jogl for rendering. Well, its an old article talking
about present. I don't know if it is true.

http://today.java.net/pub/a/today/2003/09/11/jogl2d.html