Fast or slow reading computer books?

johan1990

I am learning computer science and i am confused that is it reasonable
to read computer books in a high speed? Or should we read them in a
relatively slower speed and digest every word and sentence, which i am
afraid may waste too much time. I wonder whether i can handle it if i
read very quickly, maybe i will forget a lot. How do you think about
it?

Balog Pal

johan1990 said:
I am learning computer science and i am confused that is it reasonable
to read computer books in a high speed? Or should we read them in a
relatively slower speed and digest every word and sentence, which i am
afraid may waste too much time. I wonder whether i can handle it if i
read very quickly, maybe i will forget a lot. How do you think about
it?

For purpose of study you shall read everything at least twice. So the first
one can be fast. And the other read(s) may take variable speed based on
comprehension.

MikeP

johan1990 said:
I am learning computer science and i am confused that is it reasonable
to read computer books in a high speed? Or should we read them in a
relatively slower speed and digest every word and sentence, which i am
afraid may waste too much time. I wonder whether i can handle it if i
read very quickly, maybe i will forget a lot. How do you think about
it?

It's one thing to read it and "get it", but quite another to get the
information into long-term memory. Some of that depends on the
individual. Another thing, have a plan: get a general overview by looking
at outlines (curriculums, table of contents, indexes, etc), pick out a
path through the overview and then focus on actually learning (instead of
just reading about) the material your are interested in. It is important,
to keep interest/motivaation high, else learning will be minimal.

Rune Allnor

I am learning computer science and i am confused that is it reasonable
to read computer books in a high speed? Or should we read them in a
relatively slower speed and digest every word and sentence, which i am
afraid may waste too much time. I wonder whether i can handle it if i
read very quickly, maybe i will forget a lot. How do you think about
it?

Once you have read a couple of books, you will see that there are
certain patterns that repeat. Entry-level books will tend to have
the same intro chapters about compiler / linking processes, code
organization, 'hello world' examples. Medium level books will tend
to have similar material on roughly the same topics.

If you are just starting up your studies, spend some time with the
book you use in class *now*. The reason is twofold:

1) You use it in class, so you will need to know it anyway
2) You will need to know one book intimately first, as a reference
to evaluate the other books against: 'Stroustrup is an OK
general intro; Josuttis is far better on templates.'

Apart from that, learn how to read books:

http://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Book...2095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310112742&sr=8-1

Rune