    afraid may waste too much time. I wonder whether i can handle it if i
    read very quickly, maybe i will forget a lot. How do you think about
    it?

    johan1990, Jul 5, 2011

  2. johan1990

    Balog Pal Guest

    "johan1990" <>

    >I am learning computer science and i am confused that is it reasonable
    > to read computer books in a high speed? Or should we read them in a
    > relatively slower speed and digest every word and sentence, which i am
    > afraid may waste too much time. I wonder whether i can handle it if i
    > read very quickly, maybe i will forget a lot. How do you think about
    > it?

    For purpose of study you shall read everything at least twice. So the first
    one can be fast. And the other read(s) may take variable speed based on
    comprehension.

    Balog Pal, Jul 5, 2011

  3. johan1990

    MikeP Guest

    johan1990 wrote:
    > I am learning computer science and i am confused that is it reasonable
    > to read computer books in a high speed? Or should we read them in a
    > relatively slower speed and digest every word and sentence, which i am
    > afraid may waste too much time. I wonder whether i can handle it if i
    > read very quickly, maybe i will forget a lot. How do you think about
    > it?

    It's one thing to read it and "get it", but quite another to get the
    information into long-term memory. Some of that depends on the
    individual. Another thing, have a plan: get a general overview by looking
    at outlines (curriculums, table of contents, indexes, etc), pick out a
    path through the overview and then focus on actually learning (instead of
    just reading about) the material your are interested in. It is important,
    to keep interest/motivaation high, else learning will be minimal.

    MikeP, Jul 7, 2011
  4. johan1990

    Rune Allnor Guest

    On Jul 5, 5:33 pm, johan1990 <> wrote:
    > I am learning computer science and i am confused that is it reasonable
    > to read computer books in a high speed? Or should we read them in a
    > relatively slower speed and digest every word and sentence, which i am
    > afraid may waste too much time. I wonder whether i can handle it if i
    > read very quickly, maybe i will forget a lot. How do you think about
    > it?

    Once you have read a couple of books, you will see that there are
    certain patterns that repeat. Entry-level books will tend to have
    the same intro chapters about compiler / linking processes, code
    organization, 'hello world' examples. Medium level books will tend
    to have similar material on roughly the same topics.

    If you are just starting up your studies, spend some time with the
    book you use in class *now*. The reason is twofold:

    1) You use it in class, so you will need to know it anyway
    2) You will need to know one book intimately first, as a reference
    to evaluate the other books against: 'Stroustrup is an OK
    general intro; Josuttis is far better on templates.'

    Apart from that, learn how to read books:

    http://www.amazon.com/How-Read-Book...2095/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310112742&sr=8-1

    Rune

    Rune Allnor, Jul 8, 2011