Fast Ruby Debugger?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Joseph Moore, Jan 11, 2006.

  1. Joseph Moore

    Joseph Moore Guest

    ------=_Part_7234_7651773.1136998615666

    Hi all --

    I originally sent this to ruby-core but had suggestions that I mail it to
    ruby-talk as well. So, here it goes:

    After developing in Java for years in IDEs I'm starving for a decent ruby
    debugger. When learning new codebasesI find it invaluable to use the
    debugger to step through the system and see how things work at runtime.
    Using RDT in Eclipse is fine but it's excruciating to wait minutes for the
    default debugger to finally reach my breakpoints on tests that normally tak=
    seconds to run.

    Does anyone have for either speeding up the debugger or dropping in a faste=
    version?

    I've tried to profile debug.rb by adding "require 'profile'" to it but all
    of the time shows up in the "#toplevel" element, so advice on deconstructin=
    that into something meaningful would be great, too.

    Thanks,

    -- Joe

    ------=_Part_7234_7651773.1136998615666--

    Joseph Moore, Jan 11, 2006

  2. Christer Nilsson, Jan 11, 2006

  3. Joseph Moore

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Jan 11, 2006, at 8:57 AM, Joseph Moore wrote:

    > I originally sent this to ruby-core but had suggestions that I mail
    > it to
    > ruby-talk as well. So, here it goes:
    > [...]
    > Does anyone have for either speeding up the debugger or dropping in
    > a faster
    > version?

    said ruby-core mail also told you to check out zendebug in ZenHacks.

    --
    - Seattle.rb - http://www.zenspider.com/
    seattle.rb

    Ryan Davis, Jan 11, 2006
  4. Joseph Moore

    Curt Hibbs Guest

    On 1/11/06, Christer Nilsson <> wrote:
    > Check out ArachnoRuby!

    Yes, ArachnoRuby is currently the fastest graphical debugger for Ruby.

    Curt

    Curt Hibbs, Jan 11, 2006
  5. In message
    <>, Joseph
    Moore <> writes
    >After developing in Java for years in IDEs I'm starving for a decent ruby
    >debugger. When learning new codebasesI find it invaluable to use the
    >debugger to step through the system and see how things work at runtime.

    For a debugger you should check ArachnoRuby at
    http://www.scriptolutions.com

    Since you show interest in seeing various values at runtime you may also
    be interested in a flow tracer. If you are also interested in a flow
    tracer you may want to look at Ruby Bug Validator at
    http://www.softwareverify.com

    Stephen
    --
    Stephen Kellett