Fast Ruby Debugger?

Joseph Moore

------=_Part_7234_7651773.1136998615666

Hi all --

I originally sent this to ruby-core but had suggestions that I mail it to
ruby-talk as well. So, here it goes:

After developing in Java for years in IDEs I'm starving for a decent ruby
debugger. When learning new codebasesI find it invaluable to use the
debugger to step through the system and see how things work at runtime.
Using RDT in Eclipse is fine but it's excruciating to wait minutes for the
default debugger to finally reach my breakpoints on tests that normally tak=
seconds to run.

Does anyone have for either speeding up the debugger or dropping in a faste=
version?

I've tried to profile debug.rb by adding "require 'profile'" to it but all
of the time shows up in the "#toplevel" element, so advice on deconstructin=
that into something meaningful would be great, too.

Thanks,

-- Joe

------=_Part_7234_7651773.1136998615666--

Ryan Davis

I originally sent this to ruby-core but had suggestions that I mail
it to
ruby-talk as well. So, here it goes:
[...]
Does anyone have for either speeding up the debugger or dropping in
a faster
version?

said ruby-core mail also told you to check out zendebug in ZenHacks.

Stephen Kellett

In message
Joseph said:
After developing in Java for years in IDEs I'm starving for a decent ruby
debugger. When learning new codebasesI find it invaluable to use the
debugger to step through the system and see how things work at runtime.

For a debugger you should check ArachnoRuby at
http://www.scriptolutions.com

Since you show interest in seeing various values at runtime you may also
be interested in a flow tracer. If you are also interested in a flow
tracer you may want to look at Ruby Bug Validator at
http://www.softwareverify.com

Stephen