fast universal compression scheme and its implementation in VHDL

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by Jens Mander, Jun 10, 2005.

  1. Jens Mander

    Jens Mander Guest

    Hi folks,

    my name is Jens and I am student of the Technical University Berlin. Through
    my course of study in microelectronics VHDL design is becoming my favorite
    hobby. My other interests are signal processing and compression in general.
    Lately I purchased an FPGA Evalution board second-hand (guess where?) and I
    am now starting my first "private" implementations. Just to give you a short
    intro... ;-)

    I am interested in implementing compression algorithms using VHDL on an
    FPGA. I want to build a data transmission system that compresses portions of
    the incoming data (not the whole data but "frames" of like 800 bytes)
    on-the-fly. In my search for a fast (i.e. real-time capable at a "desired"
    data rate of - let's say - 300 MHZ?) "universal" compression scheme I came
    across the following stepping stones:

    - is there any free example code for compression algorithms available in
    VHDL to get an overview and a first impression of implementation complexity?

    - what would you think are the most promising algorithms for my purpose
    (i.e. when statistics and semantics of the input data are unknown), first of
    all I thought of delta encoding, sorted RLE, LZ, ....?

    - as the input data is unknown the álgorithm must be lossless, reducing
    redundancy (if possible), not irrelevancy. what are the theoretical limits
    of "universal" compression, not emphazizing one particular statistical
    property (like similar by values in succession)?

    - what is meant by the keyword "systolic implementations" and "pipeling" in
    that particular context? I came across that very often lately

    - what if my code gains different compression ratios for consecutive data
    portions? surely a FIFO can decouple input and output rate but eventually
    the FIFO will underflow?

    Thanks for you help + support in advance, any comments, hints and help is
    appreciated!

    Bye Jens

    P.S.: I'm looking for the standard works "Sayood, Khalid: Introduction to
    data compression, Academic Press, 199x or 200x" and/or ". Salomon: Data
    Compression, Springer-Verlag, New York, 200x". Are there any sources of an
    electronic copy (ps, pfd, etc.) or transcriptions?

    Jens Mander, Jun 10, 2005