    everytime(though they have to).

    So, is there any way to show text content on browser first and load DB while
    people read things on the page?
    =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=, Jan 26, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

    IPGrunt Guest

    "=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=" <> confessed in
    news:D:

    > My website has HTML and ASP codes, using database of MS ACCESS.
    > When i surf html coded pages, its content comes out very quickly, however,
    > with asp codes, it takes more than 30 seconds to see one page.
    >
    > I think it happens because asp pages are looking through mdb file
    > everytime(though they have to).
    >
    > So, is there any way to show text content on browser first and load DB

    while
    > people read things on the page?

    Yes, you can unbuffer the page and organize so that something static displays
    before the data.

    But, why is it taking 30 seconds to retrieve data? That is an unacceptable
    wait time for users.

    Perhaps you can break this data up or examine your code and optimize?

    -- ipgrunt
    IPGrunt, Jan 26, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=

    teknohippy Guest

    On 26 Jan 2005 19:35:27 GMT, IPGrunt <> wrote:

    >"=?Utf-8?B?UGhpbA==?=" <> confessed in
    >
    >> My website has HTML and ASP codes, using database of MS ACCESS.
    >> When i surf html coded pages, its content comes out very quickly, however,
    >> with asp codes, it takes more than 30 seconds to see one page.
    >>
    >> I think it happens because asp pages are looking through mdb file
    >> everytime(though they have to).
    >>
    >> So, is there any way to show text content on browser first and load DB

    >while
    >> people read things on the page?
    >>

    >Yes, you can unbuffer the page and organize so that something static displays
    >before the data.
    >
    >But, why is it taking 30 seconds to retrieve data? That is an unacceptable
    >wait time for users.
    >
    >Perhaps you can break this data up or examine your code and optimize?
    >
    >-- ipgrunt

    30 Seconds is a bit crazy even for an MDB.

    I've have seen speeds similar before though on shared servers that are
    under seriously heavy load.

    Is it running on a shared server? Does it run at a different speed
    when you run it locally?

    If it's that speed locally as well then there is something madly wrong
    with the code.

    You can use Response.Flush to get stuff chucked to the broswer while
    the page continues to be interpreted.

    Be aware though if you are flushing inside a table tag nothing will be
    flushed until /table is reached as the browser doesn't like to render
    half a table.

    You can help track down which part of the code is causing the slowness
    by using the Timer function. It returns the number of seconds since
    midnight.

    So at the begining of the page have something like

    Dim iStartTime
    iStartTime = Timer

    Then throughout your code at each point you want a time displayed
    chuck in the following:

    Response.Write "<p style=""color:red"">" & Timer - iStartTime & "
    seconds passed</p>" : Response.Flush

    It's not super accurate but we are talking 30 seconds here it won't
    matter!

    --
    Iain Norman | http://www.eliteforum.org
    teknohippy, Jan 27, 2005
  4. > My website has HTML and ASP codes, using database of MS ACCESS.
    > When i surf html coded pages, its content comes out very quickly, however,
    > with asp codes, it takes more than 30 seconds to see one page.

    Code is like water. It's always singular...

    > I think it happens because asp pages are looking through mdb file
    > everytime(though they have to).

    I think it could be any number of things. It could be the connection speed
    of the computer, the amount of traffic on the server, virus software running
    on the server, some other server issue, or your "codes." I think I would
    look at the last first.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    Neither a follower nor a lender be.

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 27, 2005
  5. Let me elaborate a bit. Working with databases is expensive. Your remark
    that "asp pages are looking through mdb file everytime(though they have to)"
    indicates an assumption ("they have to") that is probably untrue. Effective
    use of caching is important. Good code is also important overall.

    BTW, the ASP database newsgroup is microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db.

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 27, 2005
  6. re:
    > Code is like water. It's always singular...

    My mouth waters whenever anybody mentions ice cream.

    ;-)

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    ===========

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 27, 2005
  7. That is a verb, Juan. You're comparing apples with oranges.

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 27, 2005
  8. Not to argue, but as a noun
    it can be used in the plural, too :

    There's 44,100 references to "sea waters" at Google :
    http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&...s_occt=any&as_dt=i&as_sitesearch=&safe=images

    There's also usage like "territorial waters" a plural noun which stands
    for the area of sea near a country's coast and under its legal control.

    And there's also "to fish in troubled waters", also a plural noun.
    And there's also "to pour oil on troubled waters", also a plural noun.

    See http://dictionary.cambridge.org/results.asp?searchword=waters
    for more examples of usage of "waters" as a noun.

    But, this is terrible thread-drift.
    Sorry for the thread tangent topic.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP

    Juan T. Llibre, Jan 27, 2005
  9. Okay, okay, now we've completely obliterated the meaning of what I was
    trying to say. So, what say you - "code" or "codes?"

    Kevin Spencer, Jan 27, 2005