Faster and more efficient ways to copy website content from VS.NET interface (besides the "Copy Webs

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Guest, Aug 22, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Using VS.NET I am wondering what methods developers use to deploy ASP.NET
    website content to a remote server, either using FTP or network file copy.

    Ideally there would be a one-button or one-key-chord way to upload a single
    file or a single site.

    In Dreamweaver, you can hit "Control-Shift-U" to upload a single file to the
    remote site you have configured. This is extremely handy when you're doing
    quickie fixes and development, more handy than the VS.NET "Copy Website"
    tool. I wish VS.NET had a similar feature, or I wish I understood how to set
    it up to do something like this.

    An alternative would be if I could somehow set up a macro bound to a key
    sequence that would synchronize a site.

    I recognize this runs a bit against the grain of VS.NET's emphasis on
    quality code and development practices, but more people are going to be
    replacing Dreamweaver and its ilk with VS.NET, and it would be nice if we
    could use the tool in sloppy ways if necessary.

    Any suggestions?

    -KF
    Guest, Aug 22, 2007

  2. RE: Faster and more efficient ways to copy website content from VS.NET

    Well if you have your FTP client open, you should be able to just drag the
    file into it's remote files window and you're done, no?
    -- Peter
    Recursion: see Recursion
    site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com

    =?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXIgQnJvbWJlcmcgW0MjIE1WUF0=?=, Aug 22, 2007

    Guest Guest

    Re: Faster and more efficient ways to copy website content from VS.NET

    Yes, but I want faster than GUI-stuff. A binding to a single key, button, or
    menu item, as Dreamweaver has. This is a significant weakness of VS.NET
    IMHO, and the only thing that's better about DW at this point. Should be
    solvable. :)

    "Peter Bromberg [C# MVP]" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    Guest, Aug 22, 2007
  4. Re: Faster and more efficient ways to copy website content from VS.NET

    Hi Kenfine,

    Thanks for your feedback, I agree that for the file uploading/FTP client
    functinality, the one VS IDE provide currently is still quite generic and
    not that powerful and flexible as other prefessional FTP client or Web
    Designer tools(like DW). So far the Visual Studio IDE still mainly focus
    on the programming specific tasks, and for ASP.NET web application, VS 2005
    and its add-on components will focus on the development and compilation
    features. For example, there has shipped a "Web Deployment project" for
    better and flexible precompilation of a given ASP.NET 2.0 Web application.
    And it will make the deployment preparation for an ASP.NET 2.0 appliation
    more convenient:

    #Visual Studio 2005 Web Deployment Projects
    http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/asp.net/aa336619.aspx

    BTW, have you had a chance to have a look at the Expression Web(or
    Expresion Design Studio), it seems those suite will become the main design
    tools in the future and Expression web is more like a web page designer
    such as DW.

    In addition, though the web publish feature is still quite limited, I
    suggest you post it to our feedback center so as to show your ideas and
    thoughts to your dev team. Your feedback and comments are really valuable
    resource:

    #Visual Studio and .NET Framework Feedback
    https://connect.microsoft.com/feedback/default.aspx?SiteID=210&wa=wsignin1.0

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    ications.

    Steven Cheng[MSFT], Aug 23, 2007
  5. Re: Faster and more efficient ways to copy website content from VS.NET

    Hi Kenfine,

    Have you any other questions? If so, please feel free to post here.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    <>