fastest postgresql module

Timothy Smith

has anyone got some hard numbers on which pg access module is the
fastest, i currently use pypgsql, but i can't help but feel it's a
little slow.
3 seconds to connect, send one query, get th return data.
i'm on a adsl 1.5mbit/256kbit link, the server is on a 10/10mbit, and i
have a ping of 245ms average.
maybe pypgsql does too much backand forth, i don't know.

Leif B. Kristensen

Timothy Smith skrev:
has anyone got some hard numbers on which pg access module is the
fastest, i currently use pypgsql, but i can't help but feel it's a
little slow.
3 seconds to connect, send one query, get th return data.
i'm on a adsl 1.5mbit/256kbit link, the server is on a 10/10mbit, and
i have a ping of 245ms average.
maybe pypgsql does too much backand forth, i don't know.

You might want to try psycopg, it's claimed to be optimized for speed.

Timothy Smith

Leif said:
Timothy Smith skrev:

You might want to try psycopg, it's claimed to be optimized for speed.
my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32 port?

Leif B. Kristensen

Timothy Smith skrev:
my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32
port?

Uh, in that case, maybe you should consider changing platform? 8^)

Timothy Smith

Leif said:
Timothy Smith skrev:

Uh, in that case, maybe you should consider changing platform? 8^)
my app has to be multiplatform, but i would gladly rip windows from the
drives of every computer with my bare hands.

Gerhard Haering

my only issue with psycopg, is last time i looked they had no win32 port?

It has one now.

But (of course depending on your query), your issue is not dependant on
the particular PostgreSQL, I think.

You'll probably also have it with executing a plain vanilla script via
psql.

-- Gerhard

casevh

With the round-trip time of 245ms, three seconds only allows for
approximately 12 packet exchanges (roughly 24 total packets). I think
latency is your problem.

casevh

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gerhard_H=E4ring?=

Timothy said:
[...] is there anyway i can check
is it true psycopg is much faster or is it all hyperboll

The overhead of psycopg per cursor row is a lot less. So it makes a
difference if you fetch *a lot* of data.

Anyway, if you don't have a performance problem, you don't need to care ;-)

Yes there is a way to try it out, install it and compare :p

As I said, there is a win32 version of psycopg if that's the only
platform you have access to:

Google - first hit:

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=psycopg+win32&btnG=Google-Suche&meta=

=>