fastest way to quick site architecture based on asp.net ?

Bill Woodruff

Hi,

Today I spec'd out a web site for a potential client :

1. client has frequently changing inventory of items to present. large number of pictures to show in galleries organized by type of
item. desireable to have user able to re-order display of items by cost, by quality, etc. within each category.

2. back-end database of MySQL or SQL Server ... lower-end alternative : MS Access ?

3. client travels world-wide so needs on-line interface for managing and editing the site and its inventory

4. client needs a password protected private area of the site for presenting items to select customers

5. obviously a sophisticated shopping cart is a long-range goal, but for getting out the door quickly, shopping cart functionality
is less critical as long as users can easily e-mail inquiry about pieces. so ssl, on-line credit card processing ... those are for
the future ... but the issue remains of how to best preserve state of user's selection(s) for future inquiry.

There are a number of 3rd. party tools around that claim/promise/do deliver .NET based complete e-commerce sites, and of course,
there are the demo apps from MS. This would be the first ASP.Net site I've done, so I am looking to avoid the pitfalls.

I'd appreciate any pointers, ideas, reviews of your experience with 3rd. party tools.

thanks, Bill Woodruff
dotScience
Chiang Mai, Thailand

TJS

one of the ms starter kits or dotnet nuke

Bill Woodruff said:
[...]

TJS wrote: >> one of the ms starter kits or dotnet nuke

and your personal experience is ...

thanks, Bill

TJS

my personal experience is to use the portal starter kit.

I cutomize it to each client's needs. You can also integrate the Ibuyspy
kit if needing a ecommerce solution