FAT32 Disc Access

Rob

Does anyone have any idea of any API that exists, or functions that
others have created to find out the start cluster address of any
particular file on a FAT32 formatted disc.
I dont mind using linux to do this, as i presume windows would never
allow low level access to the disc like this.

August Derleth

Does anyone have any idea of any API that exists, or functions that
others have created to find out the start cluster address of any
particular file on a FAT32 formatted disc.

Not in comp.lang.c. This newsgroup is full of C language people, not hard
drive formatting people.

[OT]
I dont mind using linux to do this, as i presume windows would never
allow low level access to the disc like this.

Linux doesn't allow low-level disk access, either, unless you have the
right permissions.

The only OS I can think of that would allow low-level disk access to
random users and would run on the same hardware that would use FAT32 to
format disks would be a DOS variant.
[/OT]

Christopher Benson-Manica

Rob said:
Does anyone have any idea of any API that exists, or functions that
others have created to find out the start cluster address of any
particular file on a FAT32 formatted disc.
I dont mind using linux to do this, as i presume windows would never
allow low level access to the disc like this.

1) Do not multi-post.
2) Do not crosspost either(*)
3) It's off-topic here too.

* There are exceptions. This isn't one of them.