Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams

lucabrasi154

I get this error when I try to save .dxf files in Inkscape:

Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams

Then it seems to recover but it doesn't really recover. It saves the files and then DraftSite won't open them. Here is what the thing says when Inkscape tried to fix the saving problem.

File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\python\Lib\encodings\__init__.py", line 123
raise CodecRegistryError,\
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Here are my computer specs if you need them:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 6
RAM: 16330 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, 1024 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 239806 MB, Free - 39808 MB; D: Total - 61553 MB, Free - 46085 MB; F: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1461558 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97
Antivirus: avast! Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

Any help would be appreciated. I posted on another forum http://forums.techguy.org but no one answered, as of yet anyway. It is kind of weird because they answer everything. So I am assuming only Python users might know.

Thank you for considering my problem.

Mark Lawrence

[...]

Your Python version would help :) How did you install Inkscape? It
looks strange to see it in Program Files, I'd normally expect to see it
in the site packages directory.

--
"Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are
watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." Snooker

Mark Lawrence

alex23

Your Python version would help :)  How did you install Inkscape?  It
looks strange to see it in Program Files, I'd normally expect to see it
in the site packages directory.

Inkscape is an application, not a library. It provides its own local
install of Python to allow for user extensions.

alex23

I get this error when I try to save .dxf files in Inkscape:

Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams

Then it seems to recover but it doesn't really recover. It saves the files and then DraftSite won't open them. Here is what the > thing says when Inkscape tried to fix the saving problem.

What do you mean by "Inkscape tried to fix the saving problem"?
File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\python\Lib\encodings\__init__.py", line 123
raise CodecRegistryError,\
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Here's a report of a similar issue with Blender (which also provides a
local install of Python under Windows):
http://translate.google.com.au/tran...97&prev=/search?q=inkscape+CodecRegistryError

(Sorry for the ugly url, it's a Google translation of a french
language page)

Do you have a separate installation of Python? It's possible it may be
conflicting. If you rename it's folder to something else (which will
temporarily break that install), do you still see this same issue in
Inkscape?

lucabrasi

What do you mean by "Inkscape tried to fix the saving problem"?

Here's a report of a similar issue with Blender (which also provides a

local install of Python under Windows):

http://translate.google.com.au/tran...97&prev=/search?q=inkscape+CodecRegistryError

(Sorry for the ugly url, it's a Google translation of a french

language page)

Do you have a separate installation of Python? It's possible it may be

conflicting. If you rename it's folder to something else (which will

temporarily break that install), do you still see this same issue in

Inkscape?

Inkscape told me to not worry about the problem. That somehow it had made a mistake and then it showed a little window with this information.
File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\python\Lib\encodings\__init__.py", line 123
raise CodecRegistryError,\
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

I said Inkscape but maybe it is system message and not from Inkscape.
I will try your suggestions now, and thanks to everyone for responding so quickly.

lucabrasi

Got the problem fixed. I noticed the conflict between 2.X and 3.3 on the French board. I just uninstalled and otherwise deleted all python files and reinstalled with only 3.3. Works like a charm.
Thanks to everyone.

Dave Angel

<SNIP gobs of double-spaced nonsense -- stupid googlegroups
should be banned>
Your message was a hard-to-read doble-spaced copy of someone else's
comments. If you have nothing to add, why bother posting? Especially
with googlegroups.

If you do have something to say, make sure it follows the part you're
quoting, and that it does not begin with those bracket separators.
Otherwise it simply lies buried in the context, and your contribution or
question is lost.

Terry Reedy

On 15/06/2013 23:10, alex23 wrote: \__init__.py", line 123
To me that traceback looks like it's Python 3 trying to run code written
for Python 2.

If that is the case, the ^ should be under the ',' (and perhaps it once
was ;-). If really at the beginning of the line, then the error must be
on the previous line. Even then, the examples I have tried point to the
'e' or 'raise'. Take a look in the file.

alex23

Somewhat OT, but have you ever looked at tinyurl.com?  Very useful for this sort of thing.

From past comments on this list, people can be reticent to click on
URL shortener links as it's not immediately obvious where it will take
them.

GidgetGamb