Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams

Discussion in 'Python' started by lucabrasi154@gmail.com, Jun 15, 2013.

  1. Guest

    I get this error when I try to save .dxf files in Inkscape:

    Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams

    Then it seems to recover but it doesn't really recover. It saves the files and then DraftSite won't open them. Here is what the thing says when Inkscape tried to fix the saving problem.

    File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\python\Lib\encodings\__init__.py", line 123
    raise CodecRegistryError,\
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax

    Here are my computer specs if you need them:

    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 16330 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 239806 MB, Free - 39808 MB; D: Total - 61553 MB, Free - 46085 MB; F: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1461558 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97
    Antivirus: avast! Internet Security, Updated and Enabled

    Any help would be appreciated. I posted on another forum http://forums.techguy.org but no one answered, as of yet anyway. It is kind of weird because they answer everything. So I am assuming only Python users might know.

    Thank you for considering my problem.

    , Jun 15, 2013

  2. Re: Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standardstreams

    On 15/06/2013 22:29, wrote:
    > I get this error when I try to save .dxf files in Inkscape:
    >
    > Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams
    >
    > Then it seems to recover but it doesn't really recover. It saves the files and then DraftSite won't open them. Here is what the thing says when Inkscape tried to fix the saving problem.
    >
    > File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\python\Lib\encodings\__init__.py", line 123
    > raise CodecRegistryError,\
    > ^
    > SyntaxError: invalid syntax
    >
    > Here are my computer specs if you need them:
    >
    > Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    > OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    > Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
    > Processor Count: 6
    > RAM: 16330 Mb
    > Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560, 1024 Mb
    > Hard Drives: C: Total - 239806 MB, Free - 39808 MB; D: Total - 61553 MB, Free - 46085 MB; F: Total - 1907726 MB, Free - 1461558 MB;
    > Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC., M5A97
    > Antivirus: avast! Internet Security, Updated and Enabled
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated. I posted on another forum http://forums.techguy.org but no one answered, as of yet anyway. It is kind of weird because they answer everything. So I am assuming only Python users might know.
    >
    > Thank you for considering my problem.

    Your Python version would help :) How did you install Inkscape? It
    looks strange to see it in Program Files, I'd normally expect to see it
    in the site packages directory.

    --
    "Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are
    watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." Snooker

    Mark Lawrence

    Mark Lawrence, Jun 15, 2013

  3. alex23 Guest

    On Jun 16, 7:43 am, Mark Lawrence <> wrote:
    > Your Python version would help :)  How did you install Inkscape?  It
    > looks strange to see it in Program Files, I'd normally expect to see it
    > in the site packages directory.

    Inkscape is an application, not a library. It provides its own local
    install of Python to allow for user extensions.

    alex23, Jun 15, 2013
  4. alex23 Guest

    On Jun 16, 7:29 am, wrote:
    > I get this error when I try to save .dxf files in Inkscape:
    >
    > Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams
    >
    > Then it seems to recover but it doesn't really recover. It saves the files and then DraftSite won't open them. Here is what the > thing says when Inkscape tried to fix the saving problem.

    What do you mean by "Inkscape tried to fix the saving problem"?

    > File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\python\Lib\encodings\__init__.py", line 123
    > raise CodecRegistryError,\
    > ^
    > SyntaxError: invalid syntax

    Here's a report of a similar issue with Blender (which also provides a
    local install of Python under Windows):
    http://translate.google.com.au/tran...97&prev=/search?q=inkscape+CodecRegistryError

    (Sorry for the ugly url, it's a Google translation of a french
    language page)

    Do you have a separate installation of Python? It's possible it may be
    conflicting. If you rename it's folder to something else (which will
    temporarily break that install), do you still see this same issue in
    Inkscape?

    alex23, Jun 15, 2013
  5. lucabrasi Guest

    On Saturday, June 15, 2013 3:10:07 PM UTC-7, alex23 wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 7:29 am, wrote:
    >
    > > I get this error when I try to save .dxf files in Inkscape:

    > > Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams

    > > Then it seems to recover but it doesn't really recover. It saves the files and then DraftSite won't open them. Here is what the > thing says whenInkscape tried to fix the saving problem.

    > What do you mean by "Inkscape tried to fix the saving problem"?
    >

    > > File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\python\Lib\encodings\__init__.py", line 123

    > > raise CodecRegistryError,\

    > > ^

    > > SyntaxError: invalid syntax

    > Here's a report of a similar issue with Blender (which also provides a
    >
    > local install of Python under Windows):
    >
    > http://translate.google.com.au/tran...97&prev=/search?q=inkscape+CodecRegistryError
    >

    > (Sorry for the ugly url, it's a Google translation of a french
    >
    > language page)
    >

    > Do you have a separate installation of Python? It's possible it may be
    >
    > conflicting. If you rename it's folder to something else (which will
    >
    > temporarily break that install), do you still see this same issue in
    >
    > Inkscape?

    Inkscape told me to not worry about the problem. That somehow it had made a mistake and then it showed a little window with this information.
    > File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\python\Lib\encodings\__init__.py", line 123
    > raise CodecRegistryError,\
    > ^
    > SyntaxError: invalid syntax

    I said Inkscape but maybe it is system message and not from Inkscape.
    I will try your suggestions now, and thanks to everyone for responding so quickly.

    lucabrasi, Jun 15, 2013
  6. MRAB Guest

    On 15/06/2013 23:10, alex23 wrote:
    > On Jun 16, 7:29 am, wrote:
    >> I get this error when I try to save .dxf files in Inkscape:
    >>
    >> Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: can't initialize sys standard streams
    >>
    >> Then it seems to recover but it doesn't really recover. It saves the files and then DraftSite won't open them. Here is what the > thing says when Inkscape tried to fix the saving problem.

    > What do you mean by "Inkscape tried to fix the saving problem"?
    >
    >> File "D:\Program Files (x86)\Inkscape\python\Lib\encodings\__init__.py", line 123
    >> raise CodecRegistryError,\
    >> ^
    >> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

    To me that traceback looks like it's Python 3 trying to run code written
    for Python 2.

    MRAB, Jun 16, 2013
  7. lucabrasi Guest

    lucabrasi, Jun 16, 2013
  8. lucabrasi Guest

    On Saturday, June 15, 2013 7:44:09 PM UTC-7, lucabrasi wrote:
    > On Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:03:27 PM UTC-7, MRAB wrote:

    > > > What do you mean by "Inkscape tried to fix the saving problem"?

    > > To me that traceback looks like it's Python 3 trying to run code written

    > > for Python 2.

    > > > Here's a report of a similar issue with Blender (which also provides a

    > > > local install of Python under Windows):

    > > > http://translate.google.com.au/tran...97&prev=/search?q=inkscape+CodecRegistryError

    > > > (Sorry for the ugly url, it's a Google translation of a french

    > > > language page)

    > > > Do you have a separate installation of Python? It's possible it may be

    > > > conflicting. If you rename it's folder to something else (which will

    > > > temporarily break that install), do you still see this same issue in

    > > > Inkscape?

    Got the problem fixed. I noticed the conflict between 2.X and 3.3 on the French board. I just uninstalled and otherwise deleted all python files and reinstalled with only 3.3. Works like a charm.
    Thanks to everyone.

    lucabrasi, Jun 16, 2013
  9. Dave Angel Guest

    On 06/15/2013 10:44 PM, lucabrasi wrote:
    > On Saturday, June 15, 2013 5:03:27 PM UTC-7, MRAB wrote:
    >> On 15/06/2013 23:10, alex23 wrote:

    <SNIP gobs of double-spaced nonsense -- stupid googlegroups
    should be banned>

    >>> Do you have a separate installation of Python? It's possible it may be

    >>> conflicting. If you rename it's folder to something else (which will

    >>> temporarily break that install), do you still see this same issue in

    >>> Inkscape?

    Your message was a hard-to-read doble-spaced copy of someone else's
    comments. If you have nothing to add, why bother posting? Especially
    with googlegroups.

    If you do have something to say, make sure it follows the part you're
    quoting, and that it does not begin with those bracket separators.
    Otherwise it simply lies buried in the context, and your contribution or
    question is lost.

    --
    DaveA

    Dave Angel, Jun 16, 2013
  10. Terry Reedy Guest

    On 6/15/2013 8:03 PM, MRAB wrote:
    > On 15/06/2013 23:10, alex23 wrote:

    \__init__.py", line 123
    >>> raise CodecRegistryError,\
    >>> ^
    >>> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

    > To me that traceback looks like it's Python 3 trying to run code written
    > for Python 2.

    If that is the case, the ^ should be under the ',' (and perhaps it once
    was ;-). If really at the beginning of the line, then the error must be
    on the previous line. Even then, the examples I have tried point to the
    'e' or 'raise'. Take a look in the file.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy

    Terry Reedy, Jun 16, 2013
  11. alex23 Guest

    On Jun 16, 2:09 pm, Larry Hudson <> wrote:
    > On 06/15/2013 03:10 PM, alex23 wrote:
    > > (Sorry for the ugly url, it's a Google translation of a french
    > > language page)

    > Somewhat OT, but have you ever looked at tinyurl.com?  Very useful for this sort of thing.

    From past comments on this list, people can be reticent to click on
    URL shortener links as it's not immediately obvious where it will take
    them.

    alex23, Jun 18, 2013