Fate of lambda, Functional Programming in Python...

Chas Emerick

In a comment off a post on lambda-the-ultimate, I noticed this little
offhand remark:

'''IIRC GvR is going to kill the various lambda, map,filter & reduce
leaving just generator expressions/list comprehension.'''

If this is considered generally true (at least in the
straight-from-the-rumor-mill sense) I'm hoping someone here can either
provide the backstory on this or point me in the direction of related
discussions on python-dev (it's **real** hard to do a search on that
list's archives when one's main keywords are lambda, map, filter,
etc...).

I'm quite fond of lambda, and it seems to have plenty of uses aside
from munging lists in connection with map calls (i.e. passing one-off
comparators to cmp()). Of course, my first "real" programming language
was lisp, so perhaps I'm biased. (You should see all the anonymous
classes I throw off in Java!)

Anyway -- back to your regularly scheduled decorator-discussion of the
day. ;-)

-- Chas Emerick

Reinhold Birkenfeld

Chas said:
In a comment off a post on lambda-the-ultimate, I noticed this little
offhand remark:

'''IIRC GvR is going to kill the various lambda, map,filter & reduce
leaving just generator expressions/list comprehension.'''

NO!!!!111eins

Don't you think of the whole Python obfuscation lot?

Reinhold

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Elveto=2C_artiste-ing=E9nieur_en

Chas said:
In a comment off a post on lambda-the-ultimate, I noticed this little
offhand remark:

'''IIRC GvR is going to kill the various lambda, map,filter & reduce
leaving just generator expressions/list comprehension.'''

The real reason is political neutrality. lambda & al revealed to provide just
too much access to Guido's famed time machine, when python 1.5.2 itself
manifested blind patriotism after 9/11, eg

'BUSH'