Favicon colors?

Samuël van Laere

I know 16 colors is considered the safest.
But can a favicon use 256 colors?
What could be a reason not to use 256 colors?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

With regards,
Samuël van Laere
the Netherlands

Dan

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:14:18 GMT, "Samuël van Laere"
| I know 16 colors is considered the safest.
| But can a favicon use 256 colors?
| What could be a reason not to use 256 colors?

If you go beyond 16 colors, you should use a "multi-resolution" .ico -
e.g., containing 16x16, 32x32 and 48x48 with both 16 colors and 256
colors versions in the icon.

The only reason not to use would be that the icon file's size is
slightly larger.

- return address is altered slightly to reduce spam.

webgeo99

Samuël van Laere said:
I know 16 colors is considered the safest.
But can a favicon use 256 colors?
What could be a reason not to use 256 colors?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
With regards,
Samuël van Laere
the Netherlands

with most screens being able of handling 256 colors I say, "go for it."

Joined
Sep 10, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
not only screen problems

Safari give me problems with many colors in the favicon.ico

news:[email protected]...