favicon.ico problem

Navkirat Singh

Hi guys,

I am having this strange problem. I have programmed a very basic multiprocessing webserver using low level sockets. Each time the server receives a request it spawns a new process to handle the request. Now when through a web browser I type http://localhost:8001/ it automatically creates two processes: One process to server the '/' path and another one to serve the '/favicon.ico' path. I have not programmed it to serve the latter. Infact I dont even know where that name '/favicon.ico' comes from. Any insight into this weird behavior would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Nav