favicon.ico question?

Brett

Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is the
root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming through.

I know this isn't really HTML related but wasn't sure where else to post
this. However, some people here have probably implemented the favorite icon
hack.

Thanks,
Brett

Jan Faerber

Brett ... output:
Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is the
root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming through.

I know this isn't really HTML related but wasn't sure where else to post
this. However, some people here have probably implemented the favorite
icon hack.

Thanks,
Brett

They said that cross posting ist OK in opposite to multiposting. So send it
to more groups.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc,

Brett said:
Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is the
root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming through.

How would you be online without an IP? Check favicon.com and see if you
have yours per their instructions.

Hope that helps!

--Tina

Dave Patton

Brett said:
Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is
the root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming
through.

URL?
Browser?

Adrienne

Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is
the root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming
through.

I know this isn't really HTML related but wasn't sure where else to
post this. However, some people here have probably implemented the
favorite icon hack.

Thanks,
Brett

Are you using IE? IE usually won't show a favicon until you bookmark the
page. Opera and Firefox automatically show a favicon. I'm sure other
modern browsers do as well.

You also want to make sure that it is a true icon file, and not a gif
with an ico extension.

Are you using the LINK element? I usually stick all my LINK elements in
one file, link_rel.inc and use it as an include, ie:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
<link rel="stylesheet" href="styles.css" type="text/css" />
<link rel="Home" href="index.asp" title="Home Page" />
<link rel="Index" href="sitemap.asp" title="Sitemap" />
<link rel="Help" href="support.asp" title="Support Page" />
<link rel="P3Pv1" href="w3c/p3p.xml" title="Machine readable Privacy
Statement" />

Brett

Dave Patton said:
URL?
Browser?

The IP is pass protected and the browser is IE6. My question is simple -
does the favicon work with only a domain name or also the IP?

Thanks,
Brett

Brett

Are you using IE? IE usually won't show a favicon until you bookmark the
page. Opera and Firefox automatically show a favicon. I'm sure other
modern browsers do as well.

You also want to make sure that it is a true icon file, and not a gif
with an ico extension.

Are you using the LINK element? I usually stick all my LINK elements in
one file, link_rel.inc and use it as an include, ie:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

Yes. In fact, I'm using the same exact link tag. It started off as a GIF
then I saved it as an ICO using Irfran Viewer. I can reference
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/favicon.ico and see the icon. I have also bookmarked
the page but still no icon. Remember, this is only an IP address an does
not have an associated domain. Will that make a difference?

Thanks,
Brett

Adrienne

Yes. In fact, I'm using the same exact link tag. It started off as a
GIF then I saved it as an ICO using Irfran Viewer. I can reference
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/favicon.ico and see the icon. I have also
bookmarked the page but still no icon. Remember, this is only an IP
address an does not have an associated domain. Will that make a
difference?

Thanks,
Brett

Should not make any difference. I can do
http://192.168.1.4/betasite/index.html and see the favicon I created for
it, or I can do http://localhost/betasite/index.html and see the icon.
IE6.

Jonathan N. Little

Brett said:
Yes. In fact, I'm using the same exact link tag. It started off as a GIF
then I saved it as an ICO using Irfran Viewer. I can reference
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/favicon.ico and see the icon. I have also bookmarked
the page but still no icon. Remember, this is only an IP address an does
not have an associated domain. Will that make a difference?

Thanks,
Brett
Brett:

MS IE will only display the favicon if it is a single format 16x16 pixel
16 color icon in Window ICO format where as Gecko browsers will display
multi-format (like your desktop icons 16x16, 32x32, 48x48 and various
color depths 4, 8 16 bit colors) and other image formats like GIF and
PNG. If your specify your relative path to the file correctly whether or
not your have a registered domain name does not matter. Make the image a
16x16 4-bit (16 color) icon and your trouble in MS IE should be solved.

Brett

Jonathan N. Little said:
Brett:

MS IE will only display the favicon if it is a single format 16x16 pixel
16 color icon in Window ICO format where as Gecko browsers will display
multi-format (like your desktop icons 16x16, 32x32, 48x48 and various
color depths 4, 8 16 bit colors) and other image formats like GIF and PNG.
If your specify your relative path to the file correctly whether or not
your have a registered domain name does not matter. Make the image a 16x16
4-bit (16 color) icon and your trouble in MS IE should be solved.

All of those specifications are set. It works fine in Firefox and Opera but
not IE. The site is pass protected. Does that matter?

Thanks,
Brett

Brett

Oli Filth said:
^
^
This is the problem.
Try it in Firefox.

You are right. Works fine in Firefox and Opera. Not in IE. Is it only
because of the pass protection? Is there a way to make it work in IE with
pass protection?

Thanks,
Brett

Richard

URL?
Browser?

What a bunch of stupid dipshits.
The favicon thing was a little addition started with IE.
Now most modern browsers accept the thing.
You want a URL? www.google.com www.yahoo.com
Both use them.

What is a favicon?
A Favicon is a multi-resolution image included on nearly all professional
developed sites. The Favicon allows the webmaster to further promote their
site, and to create a more customized appearance within a visitorýs browser.
Often, the Favicon reflects the look and feel of the web site or the
organizationýs logo.

Where and when will our Favicon be seen?
The Favicon was first popularized by its appearance in the ýAddress Barý and
ýFavorites Folderý using Internet Explorer and is now a prominent fixture of
web browsers such as Mozilla and the soon-to-be-released Netscape 7.0. Each
web browser has a unique user interface, and as a result uses the Favicon in
different ways. For additional detail, please look at our documentation on
specific web browsers such as KONQUEROR, INTERNET EXPLORER, GALEON, and
MOZILLA/NETSCAPE.

What if my ISP does not support favicons?
It is very simple, just put a copy in a different location and use the
following tag:
<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.somedomain.com/somename.ico">

Blinky the Shark

Yes. In fact, I'm using the same exact link tag. It started off as a GIF
then I saved it as an ICO using Irfran Viewer. I can reference
http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/favicon.ico and see the icon. I have also bookmarked
the page but still no icon. Remember, this is only an IP address an does
not have an associated domain. Will that make a difference?

I don't know about IE6, but here, on a test IE5.5 installation, I get
my favicon when accessing page via IP address. Server is Apache on Linux.

Steve Pugh

Richard said:
What a bunch of stupid dipshits.

Ignoring the obvious...
The favicon thing was a little addition started with IE.
Now most modern browsers accept the thing.

And handle them somewhat differently. Hence the importance of knowing
which browser the OP was having the problem with.
You want a URL? www.google.com www.yahoo.com
Both use them.

And both work. The OP's doesn't. Can you tell why? If you can then why
didn't your post the reason?
What is a favicon? [...]

Where and when will our Favicon be seen?
[...]

Why not just post the URL? http://www.favicon.com/
Oh yes, someone else already posted it.
What if my ISP does not support favicons?
It is very simple, just put a copy in a different location and use the
following tag:
<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.somedomain.com/somename.ico">

That's ridiculous. The only thing that ISPs need to do is make sure
that the correct content-type header is served out. And that affects
favicons and linked icons equally.

Steve

Jonathan N. Little

Richard said:
What a bunch of stupid dipshits.
The favicon thing was a little addition started with IE.
Now most modern browsers accept the thing.
You want a URL? www.google.com www.yahoo.com
Both use them.

What is a favicon?
A Favicon is a multi-resolution image included on nearly all professional
developed sites. The Favicon allows the webmaster to further promote their
site, and to create a more customized appearance within a visitorýs browser.
Often, the Favicon reflects the look and feel of the web site or the
organizationýs logo.
<snip>
Yes, mulit-resolution image may work in other browsers, but NOT in MS
IE, says *Microsoft!*

see for yourself...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/howto/ShortcutIcon.asp

*How to Add a Shortcut Icon to a Web Page (Internet Explorer - DHTML)*

The pertinent point for the page:
For Internet Explorer 5, the required size of a shortcut icon is 16x16 pixels.
To create the icon, use an icon editor, such as the one included in Microsoft
Visual Studio or one of the many other icon editors available. Regardless of the
program you use, make sure you set the editor to create an icon that is 16x16 pixels.
Otherwise, the icon will be ignored by Internet Explorer.

And MS IE seems to continue the trend by ignoring mulit-resolution
icons, icon > 16x16 pixels, icons > 4-bit color, icons NOT in Windows
ICO file type. I have tested it, break any of those rules and IE stops
displaying it icon.

Jonathan N. Little

Jonathan N. Little wrote:
Yes, mulit-resolution image may work in other browsers, but NOT in MS
IE, says *Microsoft!*

see for yourself...

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/howto/ShortcutIcon.asp

*How to Add a Shortcut Icon to a Web Page (Internet Explorer - DHTML)*

The pertinent point for the page:

And MS IE seems to continue the trend by ignoring mulit-resolution
icons, icon > 16x16 pixels, icons > 4-bit color, icons NOT in Windows
ICO file type. I have tested it, break any of those rules and IE stops
displaying it icon.

Addendum:

I know ICOs > 16 pixels and color would fail in MS IE 5 back when I
explored favicons, but just tested it with my site that has
multi-resolution ICO at 16-bit and it would not display in MS IE 6.01
address bar until after I saved the address as a favorite! Mozilla &
Firefox displays without bookmarking, same with Konqueror.