    hack.

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Feb 26, 2005

  2. Brett

    Jan Faerber Guest

    Brett ... output:

    > Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is the
    > root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming through.
    >
    > I know this isn't really HTML related but wasn't sure where else to post
    > this. However, some people here have probably implemented the favorite
    > icon hack.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brett

    They said that cross posting ist OK in opposite to multiposting. So send it
    to more groups.

    --
    Jan

    http://html.janfaerber.com

    Jan Faerber, Feb 26, 2005

  3. "Brett" <> wrote in message
    > Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is the
    > root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming through.

    How would you be online without an IP? Check favicon.com and see if you
    have yours per their instructions.

    Hope that helps!

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
    ++ 20% Discount Coupon Code ++: newsgroup

    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc,, Feb 26, 2005
  4. Brett

    Dave Patton Guest

    "Brett" <> wrote in news::

    > Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is
    > the root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming
    > through.

    URL?
    Browser?

    --
    Dave Patton
    http://www.confluence.org/

    Dave Patton, Feb 26, 2005
  5. Brett

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Brett" <> writing in

    > Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is
    > the root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming
    > through.
    >
    > I know this isn't really HTML related but wasn't sure where else to
    > post this. However, some people here have probably implemented the
    > favorite icon hack.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brett

    Are you using IE? IE usually won't show a favicon until you bookmark the
    page. Opera and Firefox automatically show a favicon. I'm sure other
    modern browsers do as well.

    You also want to make sure that it is a true icon file, and not a gif
    with an ico extension.

    Are you using the LINK element? I usually stick all my LINK elements in
    one file, link_rel.inc and use it as an include, ie:

    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="styles.css" type="text/css" />
    <link rel="Home" href="index.asp" title="Home Page" />
    <link rel="Index" href="sitemap.asp" title="Sitemap" />
    <link rel="Help" href="support.asp" title="Support Page" />
    <link rel="P3Pv1" href="w3c/p3p.xml" title="Machine readable Privacy
    Statement" />

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info

    Adrienne, Feb 26, 2005
  6. Brett

    Brett Guest

    "Dave Patton" <> wrote in message
    > "Brett" <> wrote in news::
    >
    >> Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is
    >> the root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming
    >> through.

    > URL?
    > Browser?

    The IP is pass protected and the browser is IE6. My question is simple -
    does the favicon work with only a domain name or also the IP?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Feb 26, 2005
  7. Brett

    Oli Filth Guest

    Brett wrote:
    > The IP is pass protected and the browser is IE6.

    ^
    ^
    This is the problem.
    Try it in Firefox.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Feb 26, 2005
  8. Brett

    Brett Guest

    > Are you using IE? IE usually won't show a favicon until you bookmark the
    > page. Opera and Firefox automatically show a favicon. I'm sure other
    > modern browsers do as well.
    >
    > You also want to make sure that it is a true icon file, and not a gif
    > with an ico extension.
    >
    > Are you using the LINK element? I usually stick all my LINK elements in
    > one file, link_rel.inc and use it as an include, ie:
    >
    > <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

    Yes. In fact, I'm using the same exact link tag. It started off as a GIF
    then I saved it as an ICO using Irfran Viewer. I can reference
    http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/favicon.ico and see the icon. I have also bookmarked
    the page but still no icon. Remember, this is only an IP address an does
    not have an associated domain. Will that make a difference?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Feb 26, 2005
  9. Brett

    >> Are you using IE? IE usually won't show a favicon until you bookmark
    >> the page. Opera and Firefox automatically show a favicon. I'm sure
    >> other modern browsers do as well.
    >>
    >> You also want to make sure that it is a true icon file, and not a gif
    >> with an ico extension.
    >>
    >> Are you using the LINK element? I usually stick all my LINK elements
    >> in one file, link_rel.inc and use it as an include, ie:
    >>
    >> <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

    > Yes. In fact, I'm using the same exact link tag. It started off as a
    > GIF then I saved it as an ICO using Irfran Viewer. I can reference
    > http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/favicon.ico and see the icon. I have also
    > bookmarked the page but still no icon. Remember, this is only an IP
    > address an does not have an associated domain. Will that make a
    > difference?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brett

    Should not make any difference. I can do
    http://192.168.1.4/betasite/index.html and see the favicon I created for
    it, or I can do http://localhost/betasite/index.html and see the icon.
    IE6.

    Adrienne, Feb 26, 2005
  10. Brett wrote:
    >>Are you using IE? IE usually won't show a favicon until you bookmark the
    >>page. Opera and Firefox automatically show a favicon. I'm sure other
    >>modern browsers do as well.
    >>
    >>You also want to make sure that it is a true icon file, and not a gif
    >>with an ico extension.
    >>
    >>Are you using the LINK element? I usually stick all my LINK elements in
    >>one file, link_rel.inc and use it as an include, ie:
    >>
    >><link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

    > Yes. In fact, I'm using the same exact link tag. It started off as a GIF
    > then I saved it as an ICO using Irfran Viewer. I can reference
    > http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/favicon.ico and see the icon. I have also bookmarked
    > the page but still no icon. Remember, this is only an IP address an does
    > not have an associated domain. Will that make a difference?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Brett

    Brett:

    MS IE will only display the favicon if it is a single format 16x16 pixel
    16 color icon in Window ICO format where as Gecko browsers will display
    multi-format (like your desktop icons 16x16, 32x32, 48x48 and various
    color depths 4, 8 16 bit colors) and other image formats like GIF and
    PNG. If your specify your relative path to the file correctly whether or
    not your have a registered domain name does not matter. Make the image a
    16x16 4-bit (16 color) icon and your trouble in MS IE should be solved.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 26, 2005
  11. Brett

    Brett Guest

    > Brett wrote:
    >>>Are you using IE? IE usually won't show a favicon until you bookmark the
    >>>page. Opera and Firefox automatically show a favicon. I'm sure other
    >>>modern browsers do as well.
    >>>
    >>>You also want to make sure that it is a true icon file, and not a gif
    >>>with an ico extension.
    >>>
    >>>Are you using the LINK element? I usually stick all my LINK elements in
    >>>one file, link_rel.inc and use it as an include, ie:
    >>>
    >>><link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

    >> Yes. In fact, I'm using the same exact link tag. It started off as a
    >> GIF then I saved it as an ICO using Irfran Viewer. I can reference
    >> http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/favicon.ico and see the icon. I have also
    >> bookmarked the page but still no icon. Remember, this is only an IP
    >> address an does not have an associated domain. Will that make a
    >> difference?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Brett

    > Brett:
    >
    > MS IE will only display the favicon if it is a single format 16x16 pixel
    > 16 color icon in Window ICO format where as Gecko browsers will display
    > multi-format (like your desktop icons 16x16, 32x32, 48x48 and various
    > color depths 4, 8 16 bit colors) and other image formats like GIF and PNG.
    > If your specify your relative path to the file correctly whether or not
    > your have a registered domain name does not matter. Make the image a 16x16
    > 4-bit (16 color) icon and your trouble in MS IE should be solved.

    All of those specifications are set. It works fine in Firefox and Opera but
    not IE. The site is pass protected. Does that matter?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Feb 26, 2005
  12. Brett

    Brett Guest

    "Oli Filth" <> wrote in message
    > Brett wrote:
    >> The IP is pass protected and the browser is IE6.

    > ^
    > ^
    > This is the problem.
    > Try it in Firefox.
    >
    > --
    > Oli

    You are right. Works fine in Firefox and Opera. Not in IE. Is it only
    because of the pass protection? Is there a way to make it work in IE with
    pass protection?

    Thanks,
    Brett

    Brett, Feb 26, 2005
  13. Brett

    Richard Guest

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:17:42 GMT Dave Patton wrote:

    > "Brett" <> wrote in news::

    >> Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is
    >> the root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming
    >> through.

    > URL?
    > Browser?

    What a bunch of stupid dipshits.
    The favicon thing was a little addition started with IE.
    Now most modern browsers accept the thing.
    You want a URL? www.google.com www.yahoo.com
    Both use them.

    What is a favicon?
    A Favicon is a multi-resolution image included on nearly all professional
    developed sites. The Favicon allows the webmaster to further promote their
    site, and to create a more customized appearance within a visitorýs browser.
    Often, the Favicon reflects the look and feel of the web site or the
    organizationýs logo.

    Where and when will our Favicon be seen?
    The Favicon was first popularized by its appearance in the ýAddress Barý and
    ýFavorites Folderý using Internet Explorer and is now a prominent fixture of
    web browsers such as Mozilla and the soon-to-be-released Netscape 7.0. Each
    web browser has a unique user interface, and as a result uses the Favicon in
    different ways. For additional detail, please look at our documentation on
    specific web browsers such as KONQUEROR, INTERNET EXPLORER, GALEON, and
    MOZILLA/NETSCAPE.

    What if my ISP does not support favicons?
    It is very simple, just put a copy in a different location and use the
    following tag:
    <LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.somedomain.com/somename.ico">

    Richard, Feb 26, 2005
  14. Brett

    cheesetoe Guest

    what is a scumbag? Richard is a scumbag.

    cheesetoe, Feb 26, 2005
  15. Brett

    cheesetoe Guest

    cheesetoe, Feb 26, 2005
  16. Brett wrote:
    >> Are you using IE? IE usually won't show a favicon until you bookmark the
    >> page. Opera and Firefox automatically show a favicon. I'm sure other
    >> modern browsers do as well.

    >> You also want to make sure that it is a true icon file, and not a gif
    >> with an ico extension.

    >> Are you using the LINK element? I usually stick all my LINK elements in
    >> one file, link_rel.inc and use it as an include, ie:

    >> <link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon" />

    > Yes. In fact, I'm using the same exact link tag. It started off as a GIF
    > then I saved it as an ICO using Irfran Viewer. I can reference
    > http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/favicon.ico and see the icon. I have also bookmarked
    > the page but still no icon. Remember, this is only an IP address an does
    > not have an associated domain. Will that make a difference?

    I don't know about IE6, but here, on a test IE5.5 installation, I get
    my favicon when accessing page via IP address. Server is Apache on Linux.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263
    Who has implemented Usenet Solution #45933:

    Blinky the Shark, Feb 26, 2005
  17. Richard wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:17:42 GMT Dave Patton wrote:
    >
    >>URL?
    >>Browser?

    > What a bunch of stupid dipshits.

    The question was asked so we could see if the favicon was referenced
    in the code, dipshit.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 26, 2005
  18. Brett

    Steve Pugh Guest

    "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote:
    >On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:17:42 GMT Dave Patton wrote:
    >> "Brett" <> wrote in news::

    >>> Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is
    >>> the root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming
    >>> through.

    >> URL?
    >> Browser?

    >What a bunch of stupid dipshits.

    Ignoring the obvious...

    >The favicon thing was a little addition started with IE.
    >Now most modern browsers accept the thing.

    And handle them somewhat differently. Hence the importance of knowing
    which browser the OP was having the problem with.

    >You want a URL? www.google.com www.yahoo.com
    >Both use them.

    And both work. The OP's doesn't. Can you tell why? If you can then why
    didn't your post the reason?

    >What is a favicon?

    [...]
    >Where and when will our Favicon be seen?

    [...]

    Why not just post the URL? http://www.favicon.com/
    Oh yes, someone else already posted it.

    >What if my ISP does not support favicons?
    >It is very simple, just put a copy in a different location and use the
    >following tag:
    ><LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="http://www.somedomain.com/somename.ico">

    That's ridiculous. The only thing that ISPs need to do is make sure
    that the correct content-type header is served out. And that affects
    favicons and linked icons equally.

    Steve

    Steve Pugh <> <http://steve.pugh.net/>

    Steve Pugh, Feb 26, 2005
  19. Richard wrote:
    > On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 17:17:42 GMT Dave Patton wrote:
    >

    >>"Brett" <> wrote in news::

    >>>Does the favicon.ico work if you only have an IP address? The IP is
    >>>the root folder and I have a favicon.ico there but it isn't coming
    >>>through.

    >>URL?
    >>Browser?

    > What a bunch of stupid dipshits.
    > The favicon thing was a little addition started with IE.
    > Now most modern browsers accept the thing.
    > You want a URL? www.google.com www.yahoo.com
    > Both use them.
    >

    > What is a favicon?
    > A Favicon is a multi-resolution image included on nearly all professional
    > developed sites. The Favicon allows the webmaster to further promote their
    > site, and to create a more customized appearance within a visitorýs browser.
    > Often, the Favicon reflects the look and feel of the web site or the
    > organizationýs logo.

    <snip>
    Yes, mulit-resolution image may work in other browsers, but NOT in MS
    IE, says *Microsoft!*

    see for yourself...

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/howto/ShortcutIcon.asp

    *How to Add a Shortcut Icon to a Web Page (Internet Explorer - DHTML)*

    The pertinent point for the page:

    > For Internet Explorer 5, the required size of a shortcut icon is 16x16 pixels.
    > To create the icon, use an icon editor, such as the one included in Microsoft
    > Visual Studio or one of the many other icon editors available. Regardless of the
    > program you use, make sure you set the editor to create an icon that is 16x16 pixels.
    > Otherwise, the icon will be ignored by Internet Explorer.

    And MS IE seems to continue the trend by ignoring mulit-resolution
    icons, icon > 16x16 pixels, icons > 4-bit color, icons NOT in Windows
    ICO file type. I have tested it, break any of those rules and IE stops
    displaying it icon.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 27, 2005
  20. Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    <snip>
    > Yes, mulit-resolution image may work in other browsers, but NOT in MS
    > IE, says *Microsoft!*
    >
    > see for yourself...
    >
    > http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/howto/ShortcutIcon.asp
    >
    > *How to Add a Shortcut Icon to a Web Page (Internet Explorer - DHTML)*
    >
    > The pertinent point for the page:
    >
    >> For Internet Explorer 5, the required size of a shortcut icon is 16x16
    >> pixels. To create the icon, use an icon editor, such as the one
    >> included in Microsoft Visual Studio or one of the many other icon
    >> editors available. Regardless of the program you use, make sure you
    >> set the editor to create an icon that is 16x16 pixels. Otherwise, the
    >> icon will be ignored by Internet Explorer.

    > And MS IE seems to continue the trend by ignoring mulit-resolution
    > icons, icon > 16x16 pixels, icons > 4-bit color, icons NOT in Windows
    > ICO file type. I have tested it, break any of those rules and IE stops
    > displaying it icon.

    Addendum:

    I know ICOs > 16 pixels and color would fail in MS IE 5 back when I
    explored favicons, but just tested it with my site that has
    multi-resolution ICO at 16-bit and it would not display in MS IE 6.01
    address bar until after I saved the address as a favorite! Mozilla &
    Firefox displays without bookmarking, same with Konqueror.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan

    Jonathan N. Little, Feb 27, 2005