favicon.ico question?

Jonathan N. Little

Brett said:
All of those specifications are set. It works fine in Firefox and Opera but
not IE. The site is pass protected. Does that matter?

Thanks,
Brett

Password should not make a difference, but in another post I discovered
that IE will not display the icon in the address bar until after you
save the url in your favorites. Try it and see if your icon will then
display!

Brett

Jonathan N. Little said:
Password should not make a difference, but in another post I discovered
that IE will not display the icon in the address bar until after you save
the url in your favorites. Try it and see if your icon will then display!

Yes - it is saved in my favorites but that doesn't seem to matter.

Brett

Viper

Tina said:
How would you be online without an IP? Check favicon.com and see if
you have yours per their instructions.

Hope that helps!

--Tina

Sure hope you read support tickets than you do help requests posted here....

Dave Patton

Brett said:
The IP is pass protected and the browser is IE6. My question is
simple - does the favicon work with only a domain name or also the IP?

People have already explained that it works when the
URL contains the IP address. I'd suggest you create a
simple 'test page', put it in a non-password-protected
part of the site, along with your favicon.ico file.
If that works, and the same test page and favicon.ico
file don't work when you password-protect that directory,
then you have your answer.