    one to show up from any of my sites.

    Please enlighten me as to what the real deal is with IE and favicons.

    Don
    IGot2P, Jan 9, 2008

  2. IGot2P

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "IGot2P" <> wrote in message
    news:fm16ib$9ff$...
    >I have googled on and off for the last couple of years looking for a valid
    >answer to the following question without finding a definitive answer so
    >maybe this group will have one.
    >
    > First, point your browser to http://www.rivervalleylodgeandcampground.com
    > (an incomplete site I am working on) and if you are using Firefox or Opera
    > I would almost bet the you will see a favicon of a horse and rider. On the
    > other hand, if you are using any version IE I seriously doubt if you will
    > see the favicon.
    >
    > I KNOW that I have seen a favicon for various sites showing in IE7
    > Favorites and also on tabs of IE7 but for the life of me I cannot get one
    > to show up from any of my sites.
    >
    > Please enlighten me as to what the real deal is with IE and favicons.

    Favicons don't show up in IE until you've bookmarked the site
    Nik Coughlin, Jan 9, 2008

  3. IGot2P

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    > "IGot2P" <> wrote in message
    >>I have googled on and off for the last couple of years looking for a valid
    >>answer to the following question without finding a definitive answer so
    >>maybe this group will have one.
    >>
    >> First, point your browser to http://www.rivervalleylodgeandcampground.com
    >> (an incomplete site I am working on) and if you are using Firefox or
    >> Opera I would almost bet the you will see a favicon of a horse and rider.
    >> On the other hand, if you are using any version IE I seriously doubt if
    >> you will see the favicon.
    >>
    >> I KNOW that I have seen a favicon for various sites showing in IE7
    >> Favorites and also on tabs of IE7 but for the life of me I cannot get one
    >> to show up from any of my sites.
    >>
    >> Please enlighten me as to what the real deal is with IE and favicons.

    > Favicons don't show up in IE until you've bookmarked the site

    Except in your case I believe it is because your favicon is actually a gif
    saved with an ico extension. I think IE only supports actual ico files. I
    could be wrong.
    Nik Coughlin, Jan 9, 2008
  4. Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 9, 2008
  5. IGot2P

    dorayme Guest

    dorayme, Jan 9, 2008
  6. IGot2P

    IGot2P Guest

    IGot2P, Jan 9, 2008
  7. IGot2P

    dorayme Guest

    In article <fm1cto$bjf$>,
    IGot2P <> wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >
    > > IGot2P wrote:
    > >

    > >>First, point your browser to http://www.rivervalleylodgeandcampground.com
    > >>(an incomplete site I am working on) ..

    > > Please read this:
    > > http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > The link is appreciated but why exactly did you send me to it?

    Perhaps because of

    p {
    font-size: small;

    #tagline p {
    font-size: 13px;

    Normal paragraph text should normally be 100%. And you should not
    use px for font-sizes.

    May I add that it is unlikely to be a good idea to set
    line-height on body as 125% (giving a percentage) unless you have
    a special reason.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jan 9, 2008
  8. IGot2P

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 09 Jan 2008 01:04:11 GMT
    IGot2P scribed:

    > I have googled on and off for the last couple of years looking for a
    > valid answer to the following question without finding a definitive
    > answer so maybe this group will have one.
    >
    > First, point your browser to
    > http://www.rivervalleylodgeandcampground.com (an incomplete site I am
    > working on) and if you are using Firefox or Opera I would almost bet the
    > you will see a favicon of a horse and rider. On the other hand, if you
    > are using any version IE I seriously doubt if you will see the favicon.
    >
    > I KNOW that I have seen a favicon for various sites showing in IE7
    > Favorites and also on tabs of IE7 but for the life of me I cannot get
    > one to show up from any of my sites.
    >
    > Please enlighten me as to what the real deal is with IE and favicons.

    I think Nik C. has it nailed, but on a larger scale Microsoft impliments
    many things wrong and is often simply unwilling to admit it and fix them.
    This leds me to suspect that Gates is childishly petulant and has never
    really grown up despite his extravagant wealth and facile access to the
    pertinent psychological resources.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.
    Neredbojias, Jan 9, 2008
  9. IGot2P wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> IGot2P wrote:
    >>>First, point your browser to http://www.rivervalleylodgeandcampground.com
    >>>(an incomplete site I am working on) ..

    >> Please read this:
    >> http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html
    >>
    >> Thanks.

    > The link is appreciated but why exactly did you send me to it?

    You assigned Verdana, an overly large font, which I don't have on my
    computer. I see the fallback font, as size: small. Look at the two
    green-bordered sections below the heading "Verdana" on my page.

    Remove Verdana from your body { } settings and see for yourself.

    While I like your color scheme, you have brown-on-tan text, and there is
    not enough contrast at the smaller size.

    Nice lodge, by the way.

    --
    -bts
    -Friends don't let friends drive Vista
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 9, 2008
  10. dorayme wrote:

    > Oy! That's my job to recommend your URL! <g>

    You were busy swimming or something?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 9, 2008
  11. IGot2P

    IGot2P Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > IGot2P wrote:
    >

    >>Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    >>>Please read this:
    >>>http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html
    >>>
    >>>Thanks.

    >>The link is appreciated but why exactly did you send me to it?

    > You assigned Verdana, an overly large font, which I don't have on my
    > computer. I see the fallback font, as size: small. Look at the two
    > green-bordered sections below the heading "Verdana" on my page.
    >
    > Remove Verdana from your body { } settings and see for yourself.
    >
    > While I like your color scheme, you have brown-on-tan text, and there is
    > not enough contrast at the smaller size.
    >
    > Nice lodge, by the way.

    Hey, thanks for the replies. I have made some changes so take another
    look and our course your comments are welcome. As far as the brown on
    tan goes, I want to maintain that earthy look and was just going to
    lighten up the background a bit and retain the brown text.

    Cheers,

    Don
    IGot2P, Jan 9, 2008
  12. IGot2P

    GTalbot Guest

    On 8 jan, 20:04, IGot2P <> wrote:
    > I have googled on and off for the last couple of years looking for a
    > valid answer to the following question without finding a definitive
    > answer so maybe this group will have one.

    Hello Don,

    Sorry but that can not be true. You have not searched very hard.
    Questions about favicon.ico are frequent and have been frequently
    answered in newsgroups and in webpages, even at microsoft.com.

    > First, point your browser tohttp://www.rivervalleylodgeandcampground.com(an incomplete site I am
    > working on) and if you are using Firefox or Opera I would almost bet the
    > you will see a favicon of a horse and rider. On the other hand, if you
    > are using any version IE I seriously doubt if you will see the favicon.
    >
    > I KNOW that I have seen a favicon for various sites showing in IE7
    > Favorites and also on tabs of IE7 but for the life of me I cannot get
    > one to show up from any of my sites.
    >
    > Please enlighten me as to what the real deal is with IE and favicons.
    >
    > Don

    Don,

    This is actually the result of a particular way IE handles web sites
    icons (favicons) and is, in my opinion, clearly a bug among other bugs
    in IE regarding favicons.

    "To create the icon, use an icon editor, such as the one included in
    Microsoft Visual Studio, and save the icon in the .ico file format.
    Internet Explorer will ignore icons that are not in .ico format, and
    will instead display the default Internet Explorer shortcut icon."
    How to Add a Shortcut Icon to a Web Page

    http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/PNGSupportFavicon.html

    2nd bug is that IE requires to use
    <link rel="shortcut icon" ...>
    instead of just
    <link rel="icon" ...>
    which is another bug since the rel attribute value contains a blank
    space.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon#Standardization

    3rd bug is that placing a specific file (favicon.ico) at a specified,
    defined URI is known as link squatting or URI squatting, and this, for
    the whole site.

    http://www.w3.org/2005/10/howto-favicon

    4th bug: when visiting a webpage, IE will systematically and
    automatically request the favicon.ico for such webpage even if there
    is no <link> indicating, specifying a favicon. So, this creates
    unneedlessly and unexpectedly "404 not found" data in server logs.
    http://tobyinkster.co.uk/article/web-bugs/

    Regards, GĂ©rard
    GTalbot, Jan 9, 2008
  13. IGot2P

    BobaBird Guest

    On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 14:12:03 +1300, "Nik Coughlin" wrote:

    > > "IGot2P" <> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Please enlighten me as to what the real deal is with IE and favicons.

    If your .ico is in the same directory as the .html file, I think
    href="/favicon.ico"
    should be
    href="favicon.ico"

    > Favicons don't show up in IE until you've bookmarked the site

    Not true in IE7.
    For IE6, there is also a trick of dragging the adress bar's default
    "e" favicon and dropping it back on the address bar.

    > Except in your case I believe it is because your favicon is actually a gif
    > saved with an ico extension. I think IE only supports actual ico files. I
    > could be wrong.

    Correct according to
    <http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537656.aspx>.

    IGot2P, click
    <http://www.g4tv.com/techtvvault/features/12427/Make_Your_Icon_Appear_in_the_Browsers_Address_Bar.html>
    for links to some .ico editors.

    I like the look of your page. The only questionable thing to me is
    that, when using a narrow window, the bgcolor is a lighter shade of
    tan below the bottom of div#navigation. This makes a paragraph span
    across what would appear to be a different section of the page.
    --

    Charles
    BobaBird, Jan 9, 2008
  14. IGot2P wrote:

    > Hey, thanks for the replies. I have made some changes so take another
    > look and our course your comments are welcome. As far as the brown on
    > tan goes, I want to maintain that earthy look and was just going to
    > lighten up the background a bit and retain the brown text.

    Your changes help a lot. The 80% on the menu is still too small, but
    otherwise it is now more legible, and the lighter background helps. I
    understand the earthy look, as I've camped in hundreds of campgrounds
    around North America.

    Thanks.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 9, 2008