favicon.ico vs. IE

IGot2P

I have googled on and off for the last couple of years looking for a
valid answer to the following question without finding a definitive
answer so maybe this group will have one.

First, point your browser to
http://www.rivervalleylodgeandcampground.com (an incomplete site I am
working on) and if you are using Firefox or Opera I would almost bet the
you will see a favicon of a horse and rider. On the other hand, if you
are using any version IE I seriously doubt if you will see the favicon.

I KNOW that I have seen a favicon for various sites showing in IE7
Favorites and also on tabs of IE7 but for the life of me I cannot get
one to show up from any of my sites.

Please enlighten me as to what the real deal is with IE and favicons.

Don

Nik Coughlin

IGot2P said:
I have googled on and off for the last couple of years looking for a valid
answer to the following question without finding a definitive answer so
maybe this group will have one.

First, point your browser to http://www.rivervalleylodgeandcampground.com
(an incomplete site I am working on) and if you are using Firefox or Opera
I would almost bet the you will see a favicon of a horse and rider. On the
other hand, if you are using any version IE I seriously doubt if you will
see the favicon.

I KNOW that I have seen a favicon for various sites showing in IE7
Favorites and also on tabs of IE7 but for the life of me I cannot get one
to show up from any of my sites.

Please enlighten me as to what the real deal is with IE and favicons.

Favicons don't show up in IE until you've bookmarked the site

Nik Coughlin

Nik Coughlin said:
Favicons don't show up in IE until you've bookmarked the site

Except in your case I believe it is because your favicon is actually a gif
saved with an ico extension. I think IE only supports actual ico files. I
could be wrong.

dorayme

IGot2P said:
The link is appreciated but why exactly did you send me to it?
Perhaps because of

p {
font-size: small;

#tagline p {
font-size: 13px;

Normal paragraph text should normally be 100%. And you should not
use px for font-sizes.

May I add that it is unlikely to be a good idea to set
line-height on body as 125% (giving a percentage) unless you have
a special reason.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 09 Jan 2008 01:04:11 GMT
IGot2P scribed:
I have googled on and off for the last couple of years looking for a
valid answer to the following question without finding a definitive
answer so maybe this group will have one.

First, point your browser to
http://www.rivervalleylodgeandcampground.com (an incomplete site I am
working on) and if you are using Firefox or Opera I would almost bet the
you will see a favicon of a horse and rider. On the other hand, if you
are using any version IE I seriously doubt if you will see the favicon.

I KNOW that I have seen a favicon for various sites showing in IE7
Favorites and also on tabs of IE7 but for the life of me I cannot get
one to show up from any of my sites.

Please enlighten me as to what the real deal is with IE and favicons.

I think Nik C. has it nailed, but on a larger scale Microsoft impliments
many things wrong and is often simply unwilling to admit it and fix them.
This leds me to suspect that Gates is childishly petulant and has never
really grown up despite his extravagant wealth and facile access to the
pertinent psychological resources.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

IGot2P said:
The link is appreciated but why exactly did you send me to it?

You assigned Verdana, an overly large font, which I don't have on my
computer. I see the fallback font, as size: small. Look at the two
green-bordered sections below the heading "Verdana" on my page.

Remove Verdana from your body { } settings and see for yourself.

While I like your color scheme, you have brown-on-tan text, and there is
not enough contrast at the smaller size.

Nice lodge, by the way.

IGot2P

Beauregard said:
IGot2P wrote:

You assigned Verdana, an overly large font, which I don't have on my
computer. I see the fallback font, as size: small. Look at the two
green-bordered sections below the heading "Verdana" on my page.

Remove Verdana from your body { } settings and see for yourself.

While I like your color scheme, you have brown-on-tan text, and there is
not enough contrast at the smaller size.

Nice lodge, by the way.

Hey, thanks for the replies. I have made some changes so take another
look and our course your comments are welcome. As far as the brown on
tan goes, I want to maintain that earthy look and was just going to
lighten up the background a bit and retain the brown text.

Cheers,

Don

GTalbot

I have googled on and off for the last couple of years looking for a
valid answer to the following question without finding a definitive
answer so maybe this group will have one.

Hello Don,

Sorry but that can not be true. You have not searched very hard.
Questions about favicon.ico are frequent and have been frequently
answered in newsgroups and in webpages, even at microsoft.com.

First, point your browser tohttp://www.rivervalleylodgeandcampground.com(an incomplete site I am
working on) and if you are using Firefox or Opera I would almost bet the
you will see a favicon of a horse and rider. On the other hand, if you
are using any version IE I seriously doubt if you will see the favicon.

I KNOW that I have seen a favicon for various sites showing in IE7
Favorites and also on tabs of IE7 but for the life of me I cannot get
one to show up from any of my sites.

Please enlighten me as to what the real deal is with IE and favicons.

Don

Don,

This is actually the result of a particular way IE handles web sites
icons (favicons) and is, in my opinion, clearly a bug among other bugs
in IE regarding favicons.

"To create the icon, use an icon editor, such as the one included in
Microsoft Visual Studio, and save the icon in the .ico file format.
Internet Explorer will ignore icons that are not in .ico format, and
will instead display the default Internet Explorer shortcut icon."
How to Add a Shortcut Icon to a Web Page

http://www.gtalbot.org/BrowserBugsSection/MSIE7Bugs/PNGSupportFavicon.html

2nd bug is that IE requires to use
<link rel="shortcut icon" ...>
instead of just
<link rel="icon" ...>
which is another bug since the rel attribute value contains a blank
space.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon#Standardization

3rd bug is that placing a specific file (favicon.ico) at a specified,
defined URI is known as link squatting or URI squatting, and this, for
the whole site.

http://www.w3.org/2005/10/howto-favicon

4th bug: when visiting a webpage, IE will systematically and
automatically request the favicon.ico for such webpage even if there
is no <link> indicating, specifying a favicon. So, this creates
unneedlessly and unexpectedly "404 not found" data in server logs.
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/article/web-bugs/

Regards, Gérard

BobaBird

If your .ico is in the same directory as the .html file, I think
href="/favicon.ico"
should be
href="favicon.ico"
Favicons don't show up in IE until you've bookmarked the site

Not true in IE7.
For IE6, there is also a trick of dragging the adress bar's default
"e" favicon and dropping it back on the address bar.
Except in your case I believe it is because your favicon is actually a gif
saved with an ico extension. I think IE only supports actual ico files. I
could be wrong.

Correct according to
<http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537656.aspx>.

IGot2P, click
<http://www.g4tv.com/techtvvault/fea..._Icon_Appear_in_the_Browsers_Address_Bar.html>
for links to some .ico editors.

I like the look of your page. The only questionable thing to me is
that, when using a narrow window, the bgcolor is a lighter shade of
tan below the bottom of div#navigation. This makes a paragraph span
across what would appear to be a different section of the page.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

IGot2P said:
Hey, thanks for the replies. I have made some changes so take another
look and our course your comments are welcome. As far as the brown on
tan goes, I want to maintain that earthy look and was just going to
lighten up the background a bit and retain the brown text.

Your changes help a lot. The 80% on the menu is still too small, but
otherwise it is now more legible, and the lighter background helps. I
understand the earthy look, as I've camped in hundreds of campgrounds
around North America.

Thanks.