Favicon is not showing in IE7

Guest

Hi there,

I am using asp.net 2.0 and C# to develop my website. I would like to put a
favicon to my website, so I put the following code in the <head> section
right after <title> tag in a master page:

<link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"/>

All my pages are reference to this master page. My icon file in the site
root and it's a windows icon format. The problem is that it's not showing in
IE7. I am not sure why, and wondering if I need to do something more to make
it work.

Thanks,
Mike

Guest

Hi there,

I am using asp.net 2.0 and C# to develop my website. I would like to put a
favicon to my website, so I put the following code in the <head> section
right after <title> tag in a master page:

<link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"/>

All my pages are reference to this master page. My icon file in the site
root and it's a windows icon format. The problem is that it's not showing in
IE7. I am not sure why, and wondering if I need to do something more to make
it work.

Thanks,
Mike

Try to delete browsing history (Tools - Delete Browsing History)
http://blogs.msdn.com/jeffdav/archi...-t-the-favicon-for-my-site-appear-in-ie7.aspx

Guest

VancouverMike said:
Hi there,

I am using asp.net 2.0 and C# to develop my website. I would like to put a
favicon to my website, so I put the following code in the <head> section
right after <title> tag in a master page:

<link rel="Shortcut Icon" href="/favicon.ico" type="image/x-icon"/>

All my pages are reference to this master page. My icon file in the site
root and it's a windows icon format. The problem is that it's not showing in
IE7. I am not sure why, and wondering if I need to do something more to make
it work.

Thanks,
Mike

"There is no known guarantee that favicons will appear on all computers,
even on same browsers with the same versions."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Favicon

Read the guidelines to increase the chances.

Guest

Thanks Alexey and Goran. I deleted all the browser history, but it's still
not showing. I am not sure if the icon has to be 32X32 and in some color
depth.

Thanks,
Mike

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I am not sure if the icon has to be 32X32 and in some color depth.

A favicon should be 16 X 16 pixels with 16 colors.

IconEdit 3 can help you...and it's only $7.97 :

You can use IrfanView (freeware) to shrink one of your regular images to a
16 X 16 size, then decrease the colors to 16 and save as a ".ico" file:

http://www.irfanview.com/

You can use IrfanView to get an image down to spec, then edit it with
IconEdit 3. Remember, if you don't save it as "favicon.ico," it won't work.

Guest

Thanks Juan. I got the IrfanView software, and found it's a very powerful
tool. Thanks for directing me to it.

I resized my favicon.ico file to 32X32, but it still not showing on my
computer. It does show up in some other people's computers, so I guess it's
just a cache issue. Right now I am not very concerned about it.

Thanks very much to everybody that offerred your help.

Mike

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> I resized my favicon.ico file to 32X32

Try resizing it to 16x16.
That's the default size format for .ico files.

VancouverMike said:
Thanks Juan. I got the IrfanView software, and found it's a very powerful
tool. Thanks for directing me to it.
I resized my favicon.ico file to 32X32, but it still not showing on my
computer. It does show up in some other people's computers, so I guess it's
just a cache issue. Right now I am not very concerned about it.

Kevin Spencer

If you're using IE, the browser will cache its' own icon with the shortcut
when there is no favicon available. It will eventually replace the icon in
the cache, or you can clean your browser cache and get it to show up
immediately.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer