Favicon not working in IE

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Big Daddy, Jul 18, 2007.

  1. Big Daddy

    Big Daddy Guest

    I am trying to use favicon so that visitors to our site see a special
    icon in the address bar of their browser and in their list of
    bookmarks. Our site is:

    http://www.pacuniversity.com/

    And have placed the icon in the root folder:

    http://www.pacuniversity.com/favicon.ico

    II have looked around to see how I can reference it in the html to
    make it show up. It seems that this statement in the header should do
    the trick:

    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.pacuniversity.com/
    favicon.ico" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon">

    It shows up fine in Firefox. But it doesn't work in IE. I have tried
    getting rid of the "type" tag in the link element in case that's
    confusing it, and I have tried using a relative link address like
    href="favicon.ico" or href="/favicon.ico". I am using IE 7 and there
    are other web sites that use the exact technique and their favicon
    shows up just find.

    Could there be something wrong with the icon file? It's just a simple
    16x16 icon. I have seen some people recommend that there should be
    both a 16x16 and 32x32 picture in the icon file. Why is this? Does
    it matter?

    Thanks in advance,
    John

    Big Daddy, Jul 18, 2007

  2. Big Daddy wrote:

    > I am trying to use favicon so that visitors to our site see a special
    > icon in the address bar of their browser and in their list of
    > bookmarks. Our site is:
    >
    > http://www.pacuniversity.com/
    > It shows up fine in Firefox. But it doesn't work in IE. I have tried

    Don't know about IE7 (don't have it), but favicons do not show up in IE
    6 and older until you bookmark the page. Even then they disappear when
    you clear the cache.

    > Could there be something wrong with the icon file? It's just a simple
    > 16x16 icon. I have seen some people recommend that there should be
    > both a 16x16 and 32x32 picture in the icon file. Why is this? Does
    > it matter?

    Your icon looks fine to me.

    Was this page generated by some Microsoft product?

    See this for starters:
    http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

    ...and do note that for the ~10% of your visitors who have JavaScript
    turned off, unavailable, or stripped by their corporate firewall, your
    page is nearly blank. Use JavaScript only for non-essential stuff, and
    never depend on it for navigation, and most certainly never for display
    of main content. Doing so is like turning your web server off for a
    month every year.

    Further, when JavaScript is on, your page is constantly loading
    something. That is not friendly at all.

    <http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pacuniversity.com%2F>
    <http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?profile=css2&warning=2&uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pacuniversity.com%2F>

    New work is supposed to be Strict, not Transitional; you aren't
    Transitioning from legacy code, are you? Use:

    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 18, 2007