Favicon not working in IE

Big Daddy

I am trying to use favicon so that visitors to our site see a special
icon in the address bar of their browser and in their list of
bookmarks. Our site is:

http://www.pacuniversity.com/

And have placed the icon in the root folder:

http://www.pacuniversity.com/favicon.ico

II have looked around to see how I can reference it in the html to
make it show up. It seems that this statement in the header should do
the trick:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.pacuniversity.com/
favicon.ico" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon">

It shows up fine in Firefox. But it doesn't work in IE. I have tried
getting rid of the "type" tag in the link element in case that's
confusing it, and I have tried using a relative link address like
href="favicon.ico" or href="/favicon.ico". I am using IE 7 and there
are other web sites that use the exact technique and their favicon
shows up just find.

Could there be something wrong with the icon file? It's just a simple
16x16 icon. I have seen some people recommend that there should be
both a 16x16 and 32x32 picture in the icon file. Why is this? Does
it matter?

Thanks in advance,
John

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Big said:
I am trying to use favicon so that visitors to our site see a special
icon in the address bar of their browser and in their list of
bookmarks. Our site is:

http://www.pacuniversity.com/
It shows up fine in Firefox. But it doesn't work in IE. I have tried

Don't know about IE7 (don't have it), but favicons do not show up in IE
6 and older until you bookmark the page. Even then they disappear when
you clear the cache.
Could there be something wrong with the icon file? It's just a simple
16x16 icon. I have seen some people recommend that there should be
both a 16x16 and 32x32 picture in the icon file. Why is this? Does
it matter?

Your icon looks fine to me.

Was this page generated by some Microsoft product?

See this for starters:
http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html

...and do note that for the ~10% of your visitors who have JavaScript
turned off, unavailable, or stripped by their corporate firewall, your
page is nearly blank. Use JavaScript only for non-essential stuff, and
never depend on it for navigation, and most certainly never for display
of main content. Doing so is like turning your web server off for a
month every year.

Further, when JavaScript is on, your page is constantly loading
something. That is not friendly at all.

<http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http://www.pacuniversity.com/>
<http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/...2&warning=2&uri=http://www.pacuniversity.com/>

New work is supposed to be Strict, not Transitional; you aren't
Transitioning from legacy code, are you? Use: